No Dialogue Comes Through when Blue Ray is playing

• 9 June 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
I have a Samsung Blue-ray DVD player model BD P1590. I have it hooked up to my TV and Sonos Playbar via an HDMI switch and digital optical audio cable. The audio cable is connected from the HDMI switch straight into the Playbar.

When I watch TV, all audio is fine. I even get audio fine using the Netflix interface provided through the Samsung DVD player. However, when I watch a Blue-ray DVD, the dialogue does not come through. All other audio features work fine. I can hear other sounds in the movie, like a car driving, etc. I just can't hear any dialogue between people.

I've called Samsung and we've confirmed all settings with the DVD player are correct. They suggested it might be a Sonos set-up issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
It's likely that Netflix is providing you only a Stereo source. The "About" option in the Sonos controller will tell you what audio is being input into your Playbar.

The blu-ray may give you an audio source, like DTS, which is unsupported by Playbar. In this case I would expect silence though.

So, assuming you blu-ray is supplying the Playbar with a Dolby Digital 5.1 source, then you seem to have lost the centre channel. All the speech dialog comes out of the centre speaker on the device and, if it isn't working, voices would be muted.

Compare the sources on Settings...About and confirm you're playing back two different audio source types. If only 5.1 is failing, try rebooting your PLAYBAR by disconnecting the power for a couple of minutes. They are a little buggy and a reboot may revive the centre channel amplifier. Failing that, back to Sonos support...
If the HDMI / optical audio out on your BR player is not set to Bitstream (Dolby Digital) try setting it so and see if it makes a difference.

(If you haven't already had the update to fix the DD5.1 processing bug introduced by update 7.4 that affected some Playbars you may then need it
Oh... and set Downmixing Mode to Surround Compatible, and PCM Downsampling to On.
Guys, this is a three years old topic/question.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Guys, this is a three years old topic/question.

Poor bloke, sorry I was away for so long 😃
This may be a three year issue, which then begs the question why hasn't it been corrected by Sonos? I am having issues with hearing any dialogue while using my PS3. I have followed the instructions and it works perfectly with the TV and other audio features, but does not support "smart" tvs such as Samsung.
I have read through several community threads and they all seem to come to the same conclusion, Sonos has no answer and there is no support. Which begs another question, why does Sonos sell the playbar as a TV and Movie option for sound? Perhaps they only meant the non-verbal part of the movie. Anyway, I really hope Sonos resolves this matter ASAP, but I don't expect that to happen since this thread is 3 years old.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This may be a three year issue, which then begs the question why hasn't it been corrected by Sonos? I am having issues with hearing any dialogue while using my PS3. I have followed the instructions and it works perfectly with the TV and other audio features, but does not support "smart" tvs such as Samsung.
I have read through several community threads and they all seem to come to the same conclusion, Sonos has no answer and there is no support. Which begs another question, why does Sonos sell the playbar as a TV and Movie option for sound? Perhaps they only meant the non-verbal part of the movie. Anyway, I really hope Sonos resolves this matter ASAP, but I don't expect that to happen since this thread is 3 years old.

Because it's a not a Sonos issue