Answered

New WiFi Router not recognizing all my Sonos speakers

• 8 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I recently added a new router to increase my speed and WiFi range in my house. I have two Sonos One and 4 Sonos Play 1, plus a Sonos Sub. The first paired Sonos Play1 speakers are inside my bedroom. The second paired Play 1 are inside my garage and the third paired Sonos One with Sonos Sub are inside my TV room. I installed my new router TP Link AC1900 linking it up with my existing Verizon(Frontier) modem/router. This is located in a different room. To get my Sonos speakers linked up with my new TP Link router I unplugged one of my paired Sonos Play 1 speakers (bedroom) and plugged it in the same room as the router using an ethernet cable from back of Sonos Play 1 to the TP Link router. Followed the instructions until it finished and I took the Sonos Play 1 speaker back to the bedroom. Using the new router I can play my music through the bedroom speakers only. It did not find the other Sonos speakers throughout the house. I had to go back to settings in my iPhone or iPad and use my old router WiFi to use the other 2 paired speakers. But now I lost the paired Sonos Play 1 in my bedroom. I thought once you linked any one of the Sonos speakers and reconnect it back you should be able to see/use all Sonos speakers throughout the house? Do I need to do the same thing with the other 2 paired speakers (Sonos One and Play 1) for the new router?
icon

Best answer by dcgunman 8 December 2018, 23:42

Problem solved. I took 2 steps backwards after last night issues in trying to connect to my new router. Regrouped this morning and started from scratch. The YouTube video from Sonos (the dude) was not much use at all. I tried the Sonos Dudes way. Could not get all my Sonos to connect. Yes the dude got a lot of negative replies. Lol. I felt bad for the dude. No not really.
So I ended up doing what most of the responders did and connect each Sonos speakers one at a time to the new router with Ethernet cable. It wasn’t all that bad like most of them cried and complained. 6 Sonos One & Play 1 and my new Sub. It took me just over 30 minutes and that was inside a 2 story house. 1 important thing to remember is to follow the instructions when connecting the Ethernet cable and Sonos plug. Also to close and open the Sonos app each time you link the new speaker to the new router. Was it stupid doing it this way? Yes. Does Sonos need to get their sh!te together and have something in their app that would simplify this? Hell yes. My music is up and running spotless with these awesome speakers/sub. I can’t wait to add more Sonos products to my house. Cheers and Merry Christmas y’all. And hope y’all have a Happy New 2019 Year!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You have probably split your network by having two routers running DHCP. You need to have one of them in 'access point' or 'bridge' mode.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Problem solved. I took 2 steps backwards after last night issues in trying to connect to my new router. Regrouped this morning and started from scratch. The YouTube video from Sonos (the dude) was not much use at all. I tried the Sonos Dudes way. Could not get all my Sonos to connect. Yes the dude got a lot of negative replies. Lol. I felt bad for the dude. No not really.
So I ended up doing what most of the responders did and connect each Sonos speakers one at a time to the new router with Ethernet cable. It wasn’t all that bad like most of them cried and complained. 6 Sonos One & Play 1 and my new Sub. It took me just over 30 minutes and that was inside a 2 story house. 1 important thing to remember is to follow the instructions when connecting the Ethernet cable and Sonos plug. Also to close and open the Sonos app each time you link the new speaker to the new router. Was it stupid doing it this way? Yes. Does Sonos need to get their sh!te together and have something in their app that would simplify this? Hell yes. My music is up and running spotless with these awesome speakers/sub. I can’t wait to add more Sonos products to my house. Cheers and Merry Christmas y’all. And hope y’all have a Happy New 2019 Year!