Answered

New WiFi - "Can't connect to Sonos"

Moved speaker from work to home. Using iPhone controller. How do I change speaker to recognize new wifi network?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 May 2018, 18:39

It sounds like you are stuck, as the university campus WiFi connection, behind the scenes, is presenting a login screen to the speaker for it to login and connect to its WiFi and it’s not possible to complete that web form. It’s obviously not possible to connect the speaker, that’s what I’m getting from your description of things.

It looks like a mobile WiFi router or MiFi device is going to be needed, just as Ratty suggested above. However it was worth a try.

The only other way might be to speak with the university I.T. administrator to see if they can help you out.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061
Step 2: My player does NOT appear on my controller. It searches and tells me "We can't connect to Sonos".
The player is wired to the router? What model of router is it? Is the phone connected to the main WiFi, i.e. not a guest network? As it's an iPhone, try disabling WiFi Assist.
I work on a University campus and I have an ethernet cable coming out of the wall.
I work on a University campus and I have an ethernet cable coming out of the wall.
Ah, your WiFi and wired networks are almost certainly separate then. In that case the controller will never find the player.

Your best bet is to factory reset the player and start over. See here. You will lose any stored settings. If the university has any kind of landing page on the WiFi for authentication it will still not work.

It may be necessary to get a small travel router of your own, either to wire to the wall port or to connect to the communal WiFi.
I did a factory reset and still get the same message on my controller. Should I plug it into ethernet, or am I SOL unless I get a travel router?
I did a factory reset and still get the same message on my controller. Should I plug it into ethernet, or am I SOL unless I get a travel router?

The wireless (uncabled) speaker, once it was hard-reset should normally then setup on the same WiFi network that your iPhone mobile controller is using? Did you choose 'standard setup' in the Sonos App, when prompted, rather than Boost Mode?

If this still isn’t working, it might be some restriction on your university campus WiFi. Are you aware if anyone else on campus is using Sonos Speakers?
Since I did the reset, my controller is not doing anything differently. It still searches, tells me that it can't connect, and gives me some things to try. I don't see any place where I could go into settings or do anything different. Any ideas?
In the Advanced Settings of the Sonos App there is the option to 'Reset Controller' that then allows you to start over and choose a standard setup. See if that helps. Note your speaker will displaying a flashing green LED Light after it is reset and is then ready for setup.

Here are two useful links to help you ...

Factory resetting a Sonos product

How to Set Up Sonos: Standard Setup
I cannot access my Advanced Settings that I am aware of. It only wants to give me suggestions on how to fix my problem.
My speaker was flashing green after the reset. Now the play/pause button is flashing red.
Show us a screenshot of your controller... if there are any links at bottom of screen you are looking to setup a new Sonos Household using a standard setup.

Flashing Red Light

If you plug in a new Sonos product to power and do not set it up using the Sonos Controller App within 30 minutes, the light on the product may begin flashing red. If this occurs, reboot the product by pulling out the power cord, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging the power cord back in. The product will begin flashing white for up to a minute, followed by flashing green indicating it is ready to be added to your Sonos household.

Follow the “This isn’t working” link.
Yes! Ok, I'm working through the setup, but I get stuck at Wireless setup. It asks for the password but it then gives a Wireless problem alert. I believe it is probably because everyone has their own unique login credentials for this network that include a username and a password. Suggestions?
It sounds like you are stuck, as the university campus WiFi connection, behind the scenes, is presenting a login screen to the speaker for it to login and connect to its WiFi and it’s not possible to complete that web form. It’s obviously not possible to connect the speaker, that’s what I’m getting from your description of things.

It looks like a mobile WiFi router or MiFi device is going to be needed, just as Ratty suggested above. However it was worth a try.

The only other way might be to speak with the university I.T. administrator to see if they can help you out.
Ok, thanks for your help.