Answered

New Sonos AMP with Beam

I have two high quality wired speakers that I would like to use as the front right and left with my new AMP. I have heard that the Beam cannot be used as the center channel speaker, paired wirelessly. Is that correct? If I connect my smart TV to the AMP, can the Beam still be paired and function as a rear speaker, with full use of Alexa?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 January 2019, 16:57

You cannot use the Amp as L/R fronts with the Beam as center. You can either use the Beam and an Amp as L/R Surrounds, or an Amp as L/R fronts and a phantom center channel.

View original

5 replies

You cannot use the Amp as L/R fronts with the Beam as center. You can either use the Beam and an Amp as L/R Surrounds, or an Amp as L/R fronts and a phantom center channel.
Thank you. Sorry to be a novice, but what is a phantom center channel?
There is no actual center speaker, but the sounds for the center are played equally by the R/L, thus simulating a center speaker.
Hi. Thanks again. I don't want to waste your time but this dialogue might be helpful to others. That would seem like the right way to go since the beam was basically mimicking a right and left through one speaker unit. This would mimic the center channel through the two wired speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Raymondkane2015 wrote:

Hi. Thanks again. I don't want to waste your time but this dialogue might be helpful to others. That would seem like the right way to go since the beam was basically mimicking a right and left through one speaker unit. This would mimic the center channel through the two wired speakers.

Not really. The beam, like all soundbars, has specific speakers for left, right and center. They are not simulated, just not physically spaced apart the way you traditionally space them. With this phantom channel, there is no physical speaker providing the center channel.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings