Question

New second home. I want to use sonos in both houses to access my music library stored on a NAS

• 24 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi. I am a long time Sonos user who just purchased a vacation home. I know I can manage my Sonos in both locations with the same account. My question is that I have a significant music library that I store on a NAS in one of the houses. I want to know how to access that library when I am in the remote house. I have a VPN installed but am unsure I can access the directories remotely. If I can’t do that, I am going to have a second NAS installed in the remote house for backup etc. I could copy the library so l have a local copy to access. If I do that, the question is how do I access two separate music libraries via one Sonos account. Thank you for any help you can provide.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will go with the 2-NAS approach and syncing the devices. I am curious how when you are on the windows management console via PC that you can point to the drive and folder mappings. I will let you know how it goes when I get it set up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

And, lest anyone attempt it, interconnecting the two systems over the VPN, such that they operate as a single household, is likely to be fraught with problems. Many (most?) VPNs won't handle the multicast/broadcast traffic correctly, and in any case the inter-site latency could be prohibitive to successful operation. If both systems were in SonosNet mode the spanning tree protocol implications could get even scarier.

I agree, but it might be possible to present the remote NAS as a local device, with the right network setup. More of a thought exercise, really, than a recommendation. I'd also go for sync'ed NAS drives (which is, in fact, what I do).
If you want to at least start with your existing system's playlists, you could 'seed' the second household with a speaker from the existing one.
Note that the UNC paths would have be identical, from the device name onwards, in order to re-use the Sonos playlists.

And, lest anyone attempt it, interconnecting the two systems over the VPN, such that they operate as a single household, is likely to be fraught with problems. Many (most?) VPNs won't handle the multicast/broadcast traffic correctly, and in any case the inter-site latency could be prohibitive to successful operation. If both systems were in SonosNet mode the spanning tree protocol implications could get even scarier.

Two separate households with mirrored NAS drives is the way to go.
Just to confirm a particular aspect of your question. The music library (i.e. the set of folder/file paths) is stored on the Sonos speakers, so as soon as you connect to a particular Sonos 'household' you will automatically have a view of that household's music library.

Sonos playlists are also stored on the speakers, so a playlist created on one household won't exist on the other. If you want to at least start with your existing system's playlists, you could 'seed' the second household with a speaker from the existing one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You will have two separate 'households' (this is the Sonos term), one for each of your houses. Each household will be registered under the same Sonos account, but the households are entirely separate in terms of Sonos devices, settings, music services, local libraries, etc.

Just set up your second NAS in the new house, and connect Sonos to it. As Stanley suggests, you could look at a synchronisation mechanism to keep the two NAS libraries the same, or you could just do it manually.

Remote access via a VPN is a feasible alternative, but you'd need to tell us more about how your two home networks are configured, what the VPN is, what the NAS is, and your comfort levels with advanced networking.

(Note that if you use Alexa, Amazon doesn't have the sophistication in its data model to accommodate multiple households under the same account, so you can only have Alexa in one or the other property. The way around this is to have two separate Sonos accounts, and two separate Alexa accounts. I decided this was far too much hassle, so I'm just waiting for Amazon to fix their limitation.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The second NAS and setting up rsync (Linux) or a similar Windows program should make having the two NAS devices stay in sync fairly painless.

If you set both NAS up with identical addresses and paths maybe? Beyond my skill level.