Answered

New router issues

• 22 February 2018
  • 10 replies

Badge
Hi, I've just changed router and the sonos devices naturally need to connect to the new network. I've plugged in a device (play 5) to the router via ethernet but they're not showing in the app so I can't get to advanced settings and set them up. This is supposed to be simple but is bitterly frustrating!
icon

Best answer by buzz 22 February 2018, 14:21

When replacing a router you should shut down and reboot EVERYTHING on the network. Restart in the following order:

Modem
Router
Wired SONOS units
Wireless SONOS units
NAS if you use one
Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step

It is also helpful to "Reserve" (or "Fix") IP addresses for any devices that are regularly on the network.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just in case -- I assume you've seen the instructions here?:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/~/replaced-your-router-or-changed-wifi-settings%3F
Badge
yes, theyre no use as the devices arent showing despite being connected via ethernet
When replacing a router you should shut down and reboot EVERYTHING on the network. Restart in the following order:

Modem
Router
Wired SONOS units
Wireless SONOS units
NAS if you use one
Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step

It is also helpful to "Reserve" (or "Fix") IP addresses for any devices that are regularly on the network.
Badge
Yep. Everything has been rebooted...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you seeing the Ethernet-connected PLAY:5 in the router's DHCP table?
Badge
Yes, no IP conflicts
As a temporary reality check, wire another player to your network.
Badge
All fixed. Seems to have rectified itself overnight somehow... Very weird but happy its working again
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
All fixed. Seems to have rectified itself overnight somehow... Very weird but happy its working again
Then it's quite possible/likely that you had an IP conflict: conflicts will clear as the DHCP leases expire, with leases typically being 12 or 24 hrs. Note that the router's DHCP table will not tell you if there are conflicts.

Glad you're up and running.

Then it's quite possible/likely that you had an IP conflict: conflicts will clear as the DHCP leases expire, with leases typically being 12 or 24 hrs. Note that the router's DHCP table will not tell you if there are conflicts.

Agree

I use FING (Android and iOS versions) to check networks. FING will usually discover duplicate IP addresses.