Question

New router incoming, what to expect?

• 21 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve currrently got a combined modem/router in my system but the router part of the hardware is a bit flakey (the modem is rock solid) so I’m getting a new router but going to keep the old hardware for modem use only.

Am I going to need to reset the Sonos speakers on the network or will it detect and deal with the change without any drama?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

IF you have your sonos in wifi only (no sonos hooked to router).   You will need to hook one speaker at least temporarily to the new router in order to reset the wifi.

Plug Sonos speaker into router.   System will come up.   Go to settings...advanced….wifi setup to enter all credentials for new router.  Done.

If running Sonosnet - with a unit always hooked to router - then you don’t need to do anything (unless you have a Sonos Move that would need wifi changed on).

Userlevel 1
Badge

IF you have your sonos in wifi only (no sonos hooked to router).   You will need to hook one speaker at least temporarily to the new router in order to reset the wifi.

Plug Sonos speaker into router.   System will come up.   Go to settings...advanced….wifi setup to enter all credentials for new router.  Done.

If running Sonosnet - with a unit always hooked to router - then you don’t need to do anything (unless you have a Sonos Move that would need wifi changed on).

Thanks for that.

I should have added I do have one of the units hardwired to the router so from what you say, all should be well.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for that.

I should have added I do have one of the units hardwired to the router so from what you say, all should be well.

Fingers crossed!

Yes indeed, it’s like Chris mentions, unplug the one wired Sonos unit from your old router and simply plug it into your new router. Connect your mobile Sonos controller to the new WiFi and open the App and away you go. It’s really that simple, when you have one Sonos device wired already.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I would recommend that you switch off the wifi part of your router/switch and use the “old” SSID and pasword for the new device. That way you will not have to change anything in the Sonos devices.

I would recommend that you switch off the wifi part of your router/switch and use the “old” SSID and pasword for the new device. That way you will not have to change anything in the Sonos devices.

The user is not using the original routers WiFi in this instance for Sonos, all devices are presently running on SonosNet, so nothing to change as far as Sonos is concerned, the WiFi credentials should not even be stored in the App, although using the same WiFi credentials may save the user having to alter some other WiFi connected devices about the home.  I’m not including mobiles etc. which obviously will need to be switched over to the new signal, particularly if running iOS devices, as they will not 'automatically' connect to a new WiFi access point, even with the same credentials.