Answered

New router

I’ve just replaced my router. Plugged a play one into it with Ethernet lead but get “wireless problem” message and won’t connect?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 15 July 2018, 22:24

Start here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Start here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Just did this recently the controller should prompt you to create a new setup or connect to an existing one. Perhaps reset the controller, not the speakers, yourself and try again?

And as I noticed in another thread, turn off your speakers and turn them back on again. I think I forgot that when I first set up the new router.
Thanks for this first speaker(Play one) is now connected to the wireless. I do however have another play one, play 3 and Sonos connect which I don't see in the app anymore and still aren't connected. Do I need to plug these all in individually to set up on the new router does anyone know?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Interesting. I just unplugged mine from the router and lost my lounge room.

I read the doc posted above and tried again. I swapped my controller from the 5g to the 2.4 network to be sure. Unplugged my speaker from the router, reset my controller, restarted the controller and entered my wireless details after being prompted to connect to an existing setup and then plugged the speaker into the router as the docs say.

All seems good now with all running on wireless. I had plugged the speaker into the router before rather than after entering the wireless details and I suspect that's where people go wrong with a boost setup. Pays to read the docs carefully first.
Thanks for this first speaker(Play one) is now connected to the wireless. I do however have another play one, play 3 and Sonos connect which I don't see in the app anymore and still aren't connected. Do I need to plug these all in individually to set up on the new router does anyone know?
No, just switch them all off, then switch them back on one at a time, starting with the nearest speaker first. Wait for that to reappear in the Sonos App and then move onto the next device until all are back up and running.
Interesting. I just unplugged mine from the router and lost my lounge room.

I read the doc posted above and tried again. I swapped my controller from the 5g to the 2.4 network to be sure. Unplugged my speaker from the router, reset my controller, restarted the controller and entered my wireless details after being prompted to connect to an existing setup and then plugged the speaker into the router as the docs say.

All seems good now with all running on wireless. I had plugged the speaker into the router before rather than after entering the wireless details and I suspect that's where people go wrong with a boost setup. Pays to read the docs carefully first.
Silverthorn,

Just to clarify a few things. If you plug a Sonos Speaker (or Bridge/Boost) into your main router and decide to leave it there, all the Sonos devices should switchover to SonosNet, that’s the built in WiFi System that’s built into every Sonos device.

You only need enter the main router WiFi credentials in the Sonos App 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' section, if you then decide to unplug the Sonos Device cabled to the router, at which point the sonos system will swap over to using the 2.4ghz WiFi signal from the main router. It’s important to get the WiFi credentials correct in this situation as they are 'case sensitive'.

However, If a user chooses to keep a Sonos device always cabled to their router and they have previously entered their router WiFi credentials in the Sonos App, then it is best to remove those credentials by resetting things in the 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' section. These credentials are not necessary when running all your devices on SonosNet (with a device cabled to the router) in fact a user may suffer speaker 'dropouts' by leaving those WiFi credentials in place in the App, so it’s best to make certain they are removed in this type of 'Boost' setup.
I created a new email address and registered it as new and it worked.
I created a new email address and registered it as new and it worked.
And totally reset your system, purging all playlists, favourites and online service accounts.

To any lurkers: Do not do this. Follow the procedure in the article linked above.
You simply add them back on. Creating a new playlist is no big deal. What a way to speak to someone.
You simply add them back on. Creating a new playlist is no big deal. What a way to speak to someone.
You're new here, so let me just assure you that we have seen countless examples where an accidental reset of a system -- and the loss of carefully curated Sonos Playlists -- was definitely not viewed as "no big deal" by the dismayed user.
You are so rude.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You are so rude.

They are being rather nice considering the bad advice you are giving folks, advice that goes directly against the official Sonos guidance.

Resetting Sonos is a last resort and you should contact Sonos and consult with a technician before doing it.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Factory resetting a Sonos product

Factory resetting any of your Sonos products is not recommended and should not be done in an attempt to resolve an issue.
If you're experiencing an issue with one or more of your Sonos players, check the articles listed below for steps to resolve them.

Your Sonos system was not found
Error message when attempting to update Sonos
Music library troubleshooting

If none of these steps help resolve the issue, or do not pertain to the issue you're having, we ask that you contact Sonos customer care before proceeding.
You are so rude.

They are being rather nice considering the bad advice you are giving folks, advice that goes directly against the official Sonos guidance.

Resetting Sonos is a last resort and you should contact Sonos and consult with a technician before doing it.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Factory resetting a Sonos product

Factory resetting any of your Sonos products is not recommended and should not be done in an attempt to resolve an issue.
If you're experiencing an issue with one or more of your Sonos players, check the articles listed below for steps to resolve them.

Your Sonos system was not found
Error message when attempting to update Sonos
Music library troubleshooting

If none of these steps help resolve the issue, or do not pertain to the issue you're having, we ask that you contact Sonos customer care before proceeding.
ok I got it wrong but you know what there's a way of talking to people and explaining it. Ratty who is so aptly named has spoke to me in a way I bet he would get speak to someone face to face. Keyboard warrior.
Tartancheeks,

I think you’re being a 'little unfair' on Ratty, he was clearly trying to 'quickly' warn others to not follow your (incorrect) method as the users would go onto lose all their Playlists, Favourites and installed Services. Some people spend an extremely long time creating those things, many hours or days/weeks of work could very easily have been lost.

We should perhaps all be grateful that he got in quick to help prevent others losing everything. I think a lot of complaints would have certainly come your way otherwise and he has, in many ways, saved you from that embarrassment.

You may well have taken his words the wrong way, but in truth you should perhaps be grateful too, as had your post been left without comment from him, you might have received far more nasty comment from some users, who suddenly found they were back at factory settings with their Sonos system.

Anyhow, it seems no harm is done thanks to him and it’s perhaps now time to move the subject on.