Question

new play:1 only found when disconnected from wifi

• 26 March 2017
  • 4 replies

Just opened my new Play:1 and plugged it in to the router. Ran the setup to recognize the device, heard the chime, didn't find the device until I disconnected from my home network and plugged the Ethernet cable into my Win 7 PC. Do I need another network card? When I'm connected to the internet, I can't see this device. Have same issue with wireless printer, can only use when disconnected from internet.
What do I need to use this device? Don't want to use streaming service, just music CDs from home.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

My PC is a Dell Optiplex 760 and I have a Netgear WNA3100 N300 Wireless USB Adapter, Tenda wireless network rounter and Ruckus modem, both in a different room from the PC.
It sounds like you have two networks, that from your home router and that from the USB. So I suspect you have attached the Play:1 and printer to the adapter network rather than home network. Why do you have the USB at all?
It could be, how can I tell? I have the USB because I couldn't get anything to work without it. Regardless, how do I disconnect from the other network and connect to the correct one? I had the Ethernet cable plugged in to the router and the PC couldn't recognize it. It only found it when I plugged the cable into the PC.

Thanks for your help.
OK. I have looked at the manuals for your computer and USB adapter and I suspect I was wrong to suggest there are two networks. But before I attempt to give any advice, can you please confirm if the Play:1 is your first Sonos component or if you were adding it to an existing Sonos system?

If it is your first Sonos, did you do a Boost or Standard setup?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/~/choosing-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup