New Devices Added but appear to be in New/Different Rooms - Help

• 9 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Afternoon all …. the perils of going Sonos shopping 😉

Bought, installed and added an ARC and two Sonos One’s to work with a TV. In the main I think all good. They connect, they updated and give the indications they are close to working but not in the right room I think.

We have a room called Otters Den. Originally, in that there was an AMP & a couple of ceiling speakers. The ceiling speakers are at this time still connected to the AMP. (wondering now if that’s confusing things?)

The install process for the ARC appeared to go well. Also the first One the same. The second One a little more troublesome but seems in and connected. They are (should) be on wired connection although we have strong wifi here as well.

But where the room is called Otters Den, the newly installed devices appear to be a new room called Otters Den 2 (the ARc and 1 x One) and Otters Den 3 (1 x One) …. fairly sure I didn’t ask to create new rooms but to add to Otters Den, Currently they look like this ….

I’m a little lost as to how I got here and how to correct the situation. Any help would be be great. Knew it was going to well today 😁

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

First off, you can’t have an Amp and an Arc in the same room, unless of course the Amp is merely driving passive surround speakers. Your Arc will thus be a different room. Name it as you wish.

As for the One, which appears to have broken away from being a surround as a seperate room (“Otters Den 3”), then I suggest you:

• Remove the wired connections from the Ones. They don’t need it. Power them off and on for good measure.
  • Unbond the surrounds from the Arc.
  • Rebond the surrounds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You get one Sonos, Sonos stereo pair or Sonos surround setup per room name.

For example my Computer Room has a Beam, surrounds and Sub in a room called CR. 

But I also have a One SL in there, can’t call it CR as that name is taken so it is CR2.

When I want all playing together I Group the two rooms.

You can fiddle the room names to whatever you like using the Controller’s Settings menu.

Note that a Sonos room is a software construct, and has nothing whatsoever to do with a physical room. I currently have three different software rooms all located in a single physical room. Sometimes I even group them together in the Sonos software, so that they’re all playing the same thing!

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

First off, you can’t have an Amp and an Arc in the same room, unless of course the Amp is merely driving passive surround speakers. Your Arc will thus be a different room. Name it as you wish.

As for the One, which appears to have broken away from being a surround as a seperate room (“Otters Den 3”), then I suggest you:

• Remove the wired connections from the Ones. They don’t need it. Power them off and on for good measure.
  • Unbond the surrounds from the Arc.
  • Rebond the surrounds.

Many thanks Ratty. I had no idea about not needing the RJ45’s. I spent a small fortune and a lot of misery installing them. Think double skin Staffordshire engineering brick, think 100 years old suspended wooden floor, jack hammer, angle grinder etc …. misery personified. All for nothing!!!!

The lesson …. RTFM. Many thanks for pointing out. In parallel, the guys from Sonos with you and the other folks posts have helped me end the day happy. 

And although we are knee deep in Sonos here, inside every room, outside even shower, this new install on the Panasonic takes it to a new level. Really impressive.

Thanks as always for the guidance

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

You get one Sonos, Sonos stereo pair or Sonos surround setup per room name.

For example my Computer Room has a Beam, surrounds and Sub in a room called CR. 

But I also have a One SL in there, can’t call it CR as that name is taken so it is CR2.

When I want all playing together I Group the two rooms.

You can fiddle the room names to whatever you like using the Controller’s Settings menu.

Thanks for explaining Stanley ….. have to confess I totally confused myself on this one. Next time will be better but appreciate you explaining the naming. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Note that a Sonos room is a software construct, and has nothing whatsoever to do with a physical room. I currently have three different software rooms all located in a single physical room. Sometimes I even group them together in the Sonos software, so that they’re all playing the same thing!

Nice one Airgetlam, thanks for explaining ….  have to say I understood non of that at the outset. Yes that was a learning curve that one but very worthwhile. Appreciate the time spent.