New build Sonos setup in full house

• 1 September 2021
  • 10 replies

I have no experience with Sonos, but i think this is the best choice.

Building new house, at first I need some basic knowledge (minimum setup in al rooms) to be able to discuss further.

In living room will be TV and projector  with free-standing two stereo speakers. Sonos as a cinema system (in wall or ceiling).

Depending on the specifics of the object, there can be no cables from house to outdoors (to second floor jacuzzy zone or fireplace zone, steam house).

All equipment is planned in technical room no 11.

Proposals can be drawn by hand (easer to understand for me), with the SONOS equipment layouts /schemes. 

The area in square meters is indicated next to the rooms numbers. The first floor from one side to the other is 26 meters horizontally and 23 meters vertically. Little bigger image in links

first floor link

second floor link

thank you for your help!

10 replies

Userlevel 7

if it were me, I would look into getting an AV professional to do this house.  I agree that Sonos could be an excellent fit for this, but there are several places where in ceiling or in wall speakers make sense, and I would want a professional to understand what my needs are and make sure the wiring is done during construction.  The same contractor can likely help you setup a good WiFi network and whatever smarthome control needs you might want.

As far as basic setup requirements, all you really need is a WiFi network and phone/tablet to control it.

For the TV/projector, Sonos works well with TVs and not so much with projectors.  Using the same speakers for both TV and projector can be complicated, with or without Sonos.  Another reason to use a professional.

The outdoor spaces are probably the most important to figure out before construction, as you will likely want to lay speaker wire behind the walls/floor or railings during construction.  Otherwise you will have exposed wires, or rely taking portable speakers out there.

I like @GuitarSuperstar layout.  

• Add a sub in the master bedroom.
  • Add a pair of outdoor speakers on the 1st floor along the long wall of the main building for the yard?
  • maybe a ceiling speaker in the entry way?
  • I would definitely put a moisture resistant speaker in the steam room. Maybe Sonos outdoor, but other brands have outdoor moisture resistant ceiling speakers that should work here.

if it were me, I would look into getting an AV professional to do this house.  I agree that Sonos could be an excellent fit for this, but there are several places where in ceiling or in wall speakers make sense, and I would want a professional to understand what my needs are and make sure the wiring is done during construction.  The same contractor can likely help you setup a good WiFi network and whatever smarthome control needs you might want.

As far as basic setup requirements, all you really need is a WiFi network and phone/tablet to control it.

For the TV/projector, Sonos works well with TVs and not so much with projectors.  Using the same speakers for both TV and projector can be complicated, with or without Sonos.  Another reason to use a professional.

The outdoor spaces are probably the most important to figure out before construction, as you will likely want to lay speaker wire behind the walls/floor or railings during construction.  Otherwise you will have exposed wires, or rely taking portable speakers out there.

good advice (i am always prefers pro), but is not right for my country:( what best I can, is hire an electrician but not an AV professional, because there are simply no people who do such small projects.  The store will try to sell as much as possible so the consultation is also inappropriate..

having the understanding that such a system (minimum set) can play one song through all the speakers, I will already have the knowledge to at least discuss it with a store consultant.

I like @GuitarSuperstar layout.  

• Add a sub in the master bedroom.
  • Add a pair of outdoor speakers on the 1st floor along the long wall of the main building for the yard?
  • maybe a ceiling speaker in the entry way?
  • I would definitely put a moisture resistant speaker in the steam room. Maybe Sonos outdoor, but other brands have outdoor moisture resistant ceiling speakers that should work here.

Add a sub in the master bedroom. > in my opinion is not required.. only background music will be listened..
Add a pair of outdoor speakers on the 1st floor along the long wall of the main building for the yard? > not bad idea

maybe a ceiling speaker in the entry way?> I will consider when I see the preliminary budget
outdoor moisture resistant ceiling speakers > agree

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Wire as many of the SONOS products that you can using CAT6 or better cable. We built a new house in 2017 (2404 Square Feet) and during the construction  we had multiple CAT5E cables pulled to each room in the house.  We currently have 15 SONOS zones with most of them being wired.  We have around 47 CAT5E cables installed in the house.

Lessons Learned:

1. Do NOT assume that the installer will size the box large enough for all of your cables.

2. Consider getting a “Networking Panel” and terminate all your Ethernet cables to a “Patch Panel”. This will also be the panel that has all of your cable and Internet connections and hardware. We thought about this one after the cables were initially terminated. Color Code all Ethernet patch Cables (Computers, Printers, SONOS, Cable TV, Media Players etc...)

3. Create a spreadsheet that documents all of the connections. I did this and it made it real easy to verify that everything was installed in the correct locations and patch panel. I also took the floor  plan and marked the location and quantity of all cables. Most of the rooms have multiple locations. I also took pictures of all of the wall plates showing the jack configuration.

4. Think to the future. It became apparent after the house was built that we did not install enough cables for the external security cameras.

5. Invest in a network cable tester so that all cable connections can be verified prior to the walls being put up.

6. Minimize or eliminate placing Ethernet Switches in the living area.  The will improve the WAF “Wife Acceptance Factor” quotient as it removes the blinking LED’s 

7. In the “Networking Panel” location make sure to get an electrical outlet. In our house they installed the outlet in the utility room, however it was on the same electrical circuit as the washer. I had them install a separate breaker  for the networking panel. The networking panel has the Cable Company Modem, Patch Panels, 52 Port Managed Ethernet Switch, Home Automation Hub and a SONOS BOOST

I have no big comments (above the dining table I will only grab as it coincides with the lighting lamp). 

Separate amplifier (i counted 7 in first floor) for each set (rooms) is installed in the same room or can it be installed in a technical room? 

if I connect (with CAT6 calbe?) 7 separate amplifiers  on the same network, I will be able to control them all at once , example play the same song and etc.?

To “steam house” SONOS AMP+SONOS BOOST can be connected fireplace zone 2 speakers via wifi ?

"Steam house" room no. 18 "steam bath" and no. 19 "washroom" also requires speakers. it can be sonos architectural in-ceiling speakers? or i need to look for more durable speakers?

“jacuzzy zone“ SONOS AMP can be placed in "Steam house" ?

In this case These speakers can be wireless or in any case it is better to bring the cables to the "Steam house"?

Thank you very much!

I read about group all SONOS amp on the network. one question no longer exists. great:)

the biggest question remains or is there really a need for so many individual amplifiers?

and does it necessarily have to be located in each room (because otherwise I will not be able to have some functions while traying control it from the room) or can it be technical?

Userlevel 7

Each Amp can power up to six Sonos Architectural speakers (up to four third-party speakers), but each Amp also acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume. If you want separate zones so you can play different music at different volumes in each zone, you need to have separate Amps powering each zone.

All of the Amps can be stored in the technical room. Just be sure the room has proper ventilation, and make sure you use the appropriate speaker wire gauge based on the distance from the speakers to the technical room. Note that Sonos doesn’t recommend runs over 300 ft:

On your previous question about the steam house, you need to find speakers that can handle high humidity environments like these speakers:
https://www.sonance.com/in-wall-in-ceiling/visual-performance/extreme

Each Amp can power up to six Sonos Architectural speakers (up to four third-party speakers), but each Amp also acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume. If you want separate zones so you can play different music at different volumes in each zone, you need to have separate Amps powering each zone.

All of the Amps can be stored in the technical room. Just be sure the room has proper ventilation, and make sure you use the appropriate speaker wire gauge based on the distance from the speakers to the technical room. Note that Sonos doesn’t recommend runs over 300 ft:

On your previous question about the steam house, you need to find speakers that can handle high humidity environments like these speakers:
https://www.sonance.com/in-wall-in-ceiling/visual-performance/extreme

Thanks mow is clear (at the lowest level). Tnx

speaker to amp is audio 2 core cables ? 

Wifi left inact. How far from the amplifier can I think about wifi speakers? in outdoor areas can I connect speakers without cables or only in the worst case?