Need some setup advice

Userlevel 2
Hello all,

A little background: Right now I have a 12" powerbook and very soon hope to be getting my hands a Powermac Quad G5. Also around the same time I'll be ordering the intro bundle with loudspeakers from sonos. At first I was just going to connect the sonos to the powermac, but I don't want it running all of the time, so a NAS drive looks like the way to go.

Both the powermac and powerbook are going to be using an airport express (what an upgrade the sonos are going to be!). Or can I use the sonos's wifi for internet too and bypass using the airport express all together? If not the plan would be to connect the sonos to the wall ethernet port then running the airport express and NAS drive from the back of the Zoneplayer's ethernet ports.

Lastly I want a NAS drive that works best with mac's and pc's. I'd like to be able to add music to the drive from either my powerbook, powermac or any other pc/mac connected to the wireless network.... keeping all the music in sync. Plus the drive would be partitioned so I could also have a backup for my powermac and powerbook (would need to be protected from other users on the network). What ones would you recommend and can all this be done?

Thanks for your time.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi bts161,

Yes, this sounds feasible. When you mention plugging the ZonePlayer into the wall plug, where does the wall plug go to? Another router? If so, then your configuration will work fine. You will need the airport device as the ZonePlayer's wireless connection cannot be used by a computer, only by other Sonos devices.

The reason I ask about the wall plug is because you need a router, such as the airport attached before the first Sonos ZonePlayer as you need a device that can provide it an IP address.

When it comes to Mac support on NAS devices, most of them work, but not too many come with a CD that has a setup utility for the Mac. I believe Lacie and Iomega NAS solutions should work well with your Mac. Most, if not all, work with the PC.

If you have any other questions, you can shoot them over to [email]support@sonos.com[/email], reply here, or give us a call.

Thanks,
Jason

US/Canada: 800.680.2345 toll free or 801.715.5505
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., EST
Saturday, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., EST

UK: 0808 2346596 toll free
NL: 0800 0234361 toll free
EU: +1 801 656 1005
Monday - Friday, 1 p.m. - 2 a.m., GMT
Saturday, 5 p.m. - 10 p.m., GMT
Userlevel 2
Hey Jason,

I should have been a little more clear about the way plug. Each apartment has one in the apartment complex i live in. So i'm guessing a router of some kind is used but whenever I connect a different computer or airport express up to it I have to register it as the main device.

So now the plan would be first the router then from the router the first zoneplayer and another ethernet cable going to the airport express. And I'm guessing the NAS drive would connect directly to the zoneplayer? And how can I access the NAS drive wirelessly?

Thanks again
Userlevel 2
I would probably go, from wall to airport express. From airport to first ZonePlayer, and then attach the NAS to the ZonePlayer. As long as your computers can connect to the airport, they should be able to connect to the NAS as the airport will be distributing the IP addresses.

I've seen this setup before and I know it can work. For initial setup you may want to wire you computer to the ZP or directly to the NAS as file copying will be faster over a wire than wirelessly.

-Jason
Userlevel 2
The only problem with this is that the airport only has one ethernet port.
The only problem with this is that the airport only has one ethernet port.

Connect between one of the SONOS ethernet ports and the Airport's ethernet port. Then you'll have three extra ports for other devices such as your NAS or a computer.
Userlevel 2
Ok... that's what I was thinking.

Can anyone recommend a NAS device? I've been looking at that Infrant Tech. but they are a little pricey and might be over kill...
Ok... that's what I was thinking.

Can anyone recommend a NAS device? I've been looking at that Infrant Tech. but they are a little pricey and might be over kill...

You might want to check out this thread on NAS drives. Has quite a bit of discussion that should help you out.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings