need AMP assistance

• 4 June 2022
  • 7 replies

my pool house and pool area are a good 100+ feet away from my house, I currently have 2 Klipsch patio speakers and a powered sub in the pool house hooked up to a receiver. I have a Sonance Mag 6.1 I would like to add that comes with a Sonos Amp. I want to keep the existing speakers and sub and add the Sonance. Any answers I could find were I cannot add anything else to the amp, ok fine.

Do I need another AMP or can I loop the existing receiver into the amp somehow? Also, I didn’t really consider that the amp will be too far away from the house Sonos, how would I figure that out? I’m doing this myself so running the amp from the house is not an option, it’s too far.

7 replies

You may have difficulty connecting AMP to your network wirelessly at 100 feet. 

Regardless of any network connection issues, you’ll have a 75ms latency for the AMP if you attempt to play simultaneously with your current system. Your best approach would be to replace the receiver with a second AMP.

The amp connected so I did have some Wi-Fi getting back there already. My next less expensive thought is the Port, then I can connect the receiver and amp and use the 2 together, correct?

If PORT is the input for the receiver, the speakers will be time synced. If you attempt to use the receiver as input, perhaps for its tuner or a phono, you’ll have a sync issue.

Thank you, if I have to get another amp, can I connect my existing sub as the sub out on the back? I thought I read the sub out can not be used simultaneously with left and rear speakers.

If PORT is the input for the receiver, the speakers will be time synced. If you attempt to use the receiver as input, perhaps for its tuner or a phono, you’ll have a sync issue.

I would also not be using the tuner or record player on the receiver, I would only use the Sonos app. Would there still be a delay issue?

PORT would connect to the receiver as if PORT was a CD player and there will not be any time alignment issues unless your receiver creates one. It’s the new, high tech receivers that might introduce a delay of some sort. Old, dumb receivers will not introduce any delays. If a modern unit introduces a delay there may be a “direct” receiver setting that will eliminate the delay.

You are correct, when used as a surround amplifier, AMP’s subwoofer capability is disabled.