Answered

NAS Problems after upgrading from S1 to S2

Badge

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my Connect to a Port so I could use S2. Everything upgraded fine and all my NAS settings ported over. However, since I started using S2, I have had occasional problems connecting to the NAS server. This rarely happened under S1, but is happening fairly often under S2. I have restarted the speakers, port, router and even deleted and re-added the NAS path and re-indexed the music library. 

Any ideas? Many thanks! -Steven

icon

Best answer by stevensimak 15 May 2022, 21:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @stevensimak 

Like you, I too experienced some issues connecting to my network share once S2 started supporting SMBv2/3 - for you it came with the upgrade from S1, for me it was with the update of S2 that brought SMBv2/3 support.

I imagine you, like me, will need to disable SMBv1 on your NAS server - as I don’t know what device you are using to host your network share, I can’t help you much more than that, presently. The good news is that this step will make your network share more secure.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi Corry,

Thanks for the feedback. My NAS is a WD MyCloud Home. It doesn’t allow me to access to the SMB settings on the device. It is pretty limited; just accessing the public share was a chore. I have been considering upgrading to a better NAS with more control. Perhaps that will help. Thanks!

Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @stevensimak 

My NAS is a WD MyCloud Home

In that case, you should be able to add the WD MyCloud Home service - as if it were an online service - to your Sonos system and bypass using SMB completely. Please make sure your WD MyCloud Home device’s software is up to date.

Add a music service to Sonos

I hope this helps.

Edit: You’d then use the WD MyCloud Home service in the Browse section of the Sonos app when playing music instead of Music Library.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi@stevensimak 

Let me revise my advice - apparently, the MyCloud Home service isn’t great.

The following settings on your MyCloud device should help:

To get to the settings page, you’ll need to type the IP address of the NAS into your browser, preceded by http://

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi@stevensimak 

Let me revise my advice - apparently, the MyCloud Home service isn’t great.

The following settings on your MyCloud device should help:

To get to the settings page, you’ll need to type the IP address of the NAS into your browser, preceded by http://

I hope this helps.

Have you tried this yourself? I just can't get it to work...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

Not personally, but my colleague has a WD Cloud Home and a Sonos S2 system, and he hasn’t had any problems - in fact, he gave me that screenshot. I recommend rebooting the NAS after changing the settings, and removing and re-adding the share in Sonos may also help.

At a stretch, you may be experiencing compounded issues so I’d recommend a reboot of your router if things still aren’t working - turn it off for at least 30 seconds, then give it about 5 minutes for WiFi to come back and for devices to connect and settle.

I hope this helps - if it doesn’t, what goes wrong, exactly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

Not personally, but my colleague has a WD Cloud Home and a Sonos S2 system, and he hasn’t had any problems - in fact, he gave me that screenshot. I recommend rebooting the NAS after changing the settings, and removing and re-adding the share in Sonos may also help.

At a stretch, you may be experiencing compounded issues so I’d recommend a reboot of your router if things still aren’t working - turn it off for at least 30 seconds, then give it about 5 minutes for WiFi to come back and for devices to connect and settle.

I hope this helps - if it doesn’t, what goes wrong, exactly?

I'm not experiencing any problems with my WD My Cloud Home, I'm happy to say. It's just that to my knowledge the WD My Cloud Home doesn't have a configuration panel and the link http://IPaddress will not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @beynym 

Ah - I understand. As far as I am aware, yes - that’s how my colleague accessed his WD settings. It could vary with the model, I suppose.

Badge

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The problem is that after upgrading I started receiving the message that Sonos cannot connect to the MyCloud Home NAS. At first it happened all the time, now it happens only occasionally. I have tried shutting down and rebooting everything. One of those weird things that is hard to diagnose.

Steven

Badge

Hi All,

Quick follow-up - 
Not sure if this will work for everyone, but it helped my connection issues. I wired my Sonos Port directly to my router. Luckily, it was close enough for me to do that. With that, the network is now wired and I was able to access the SonosNet channel. It turns out that both my router and Sonos were on channel 6. I tried channel 1, but settled on channel 11. So far, the connection is much more stable. I will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone for your help. -Steven

Badge

Hi All,

Update - I have officially given up. The problem connecting to my NAS resurfaced making Sonos practically unusable. It seems S2 does not play well with my WD MyCloud Home. I am tempted to purchase a new Synology so I have more control over the settings, but in the interim, I reconnected my Sonos Connect and downgraded back to S1. Now, everything works perfectly again. Luckily, I am still in the 45-day return period for the Port. Thanks for all for your input.

Cheers,

Steven