Question

NAs drives, MacOS Catalina and Sonos

• 12 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
Hi
My iTunes library is on an external Synology NAS., which I can see with my MacBook.My Sonos setup reads the music from this NAS server. I am thinking of buying a new MacBook (maybe as a Christmas present to me!) that will have Apple's new "Music" app instead of iTunes.
Question is: Will I be able to install the Music app on my Synology server and use my "new" MacBook to see that app, in the same way that I do with iTunes? And will Sonos be able to see the Music app? Or should I maybe keep my old MacBook running Mojave and not change the iTunes library on the server. Eventually, however, I will have to use Music app I suppose. Any advice? Thanks !

2 replies

Yes, the "preferences" in the new Music app are the same as they were in the iTunes app, so you can define where your Music library is stored.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi
My iTunes library is on an external Synology NAS., which I can see with my MacBook.My Sonos setup reads the music from this NAS server. I am thinking of buying a new MacBook (maybe as a Christmas present to me!) that will have Apple's new "Music" app instead of iTunes.
Question is: Will I be able to install the Music app on my Synology server and use my "new" MacBook to see that app, in the same way that I do with iTunes? And will Sonos be able to see the Music app? Or should I maybe keep my old MacBook running Mojave and not change the iTunes library on the server. Eventually, however, I will have to use Music app I suppose. Any advice? Thanks !

My recommendation is to stay with Mojave for the time being. macOS Catalina’s Music App creates a new library structure with different file locations for music files and artwork. As you will find in the troubleshooting threads, the playlists are not showing: https://en.community.sonos.com/topic/show?tid=6833878&fid=228999