My First Sonos Question

Userlevel 2
Hello all. Just migrated yesterday from a dead Squeezebox and it's all going well so far. I have a Bridge and a Connect. My question is whether the ethernet ports on the back of the Connect can be used as wired bridges by other devices. (I can just try it, of course, but I'm not home at the moment.) I ask because my BluRay player used to be plugged into the ethernet port on the (wirelessly networked) Squeezebox which was necessary to trick the BluRay player into thinking it had a wired connection. Can I just plug the BluRay ethernet connection into one of the otherwise unused ethernet ports on the Connect?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Welcome to the Forums, jfalk!

jfalk wrote:

Can I just plug the BluRay ethernet connection into one of the otherwise unused ethernet ports on the Connect?

Yes, you can.
Welcome to the forums.

Apologies that your post was auto-moderated. Like most forums we're plagued by spam and the 'auto-mod' nanny can be a bit sensitive at times when a member's post count is low.

To your question: yes.

All Ethernet ports on Sonos devices wirelessly connected on SonosNet can extend your local network for other wired devices. Note that there's no prioritisation of traffic, so any heavy non-music traffic demands could put the squeeze on live music streams.
Userlevel 2
Thanks! Since I'd never use the BluRay and the Sonos system at the same time, traffic prioritization ought not be a problem, though I guess if I began to expand to a multiroom system it could be, conceivably.

Thanks for the rapid response, and I may have more newbie questions soon. (And the auto-moderation is entirely understandable.)
Assuming the BDP is streaming then it's unlikely it'll upset Sonos anyway, assuming there's a decent wireless signal. SonosNet capacity is reckoned to be around 36Mbps.

It's heavy downloads which can cramp the music's style.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings