Answered

Music Library on External USB HD mounted as NAS via Time Capsule

• 28 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi All,

My iTunes media library is stored on an external USB HD mounted as a network drive via Apple Time Capsule. I have been unable to add this directory though as a Networked Device via the "Add Music Folder" in Sonos App Music Library Settings. I have read through various threads on the support forum that suggested shortening names of drives (sub 15 characters), and removing spaces - so have done that...
- Name of Time Capsule: BW_TC
- Name of USB HD: BLACK_4TB
- Name of sub-folder iTunes_Media

On that basis I have been directing Sonos to the following path:
\\BW_TC\BLACK_4TB\iTunes_Media

This doesn't work though. I get an error message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. The computer "BW_TC" cannot be found.

I am on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and the external network HD otherwise works fine (e.g. within iTunes, and as a source for media in Infuse on AppleTV). When I do CMD+i (Get Info) on the target folder in Finder I see:
Where: BLACK_4TB
Server: afp://BW_TC._afpovertcp._tcp.local/BLACK_4TB/iTunes_Media

The typical response to these queries on the forum is to direct to this Sonos help page - https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US - but I have followed instructions there, and it doesn't work. I also spent half an hour on the phone with Sonos support staff earlier today, and they were unable to resolve. It seems it should be possible though, and others on the forum appear to have reported success with this exact same configuration...

This is getting frustrating... any suggestions appreciated!
icon

Best answer by ben79 1 December 2018, 21:48

For future reference, I managed to solve this by removing underscore characters from the file path...
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

For future reference, I managed to solve this by removing underscore characters from the file path...