Multiple speakers connected via cable

• 8 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I bought eight Sonos speakers for my restaurant and due to a bad internet connection, I think the best solution is to wire them together somehow. The issue starts every once in a while when internet breaks and place becomes silent. The guests are not happy, I am not happy .. You can get the picture.

Can someone please suggest me how to connect all of my speakers via cable to an iPad and when internet breaks, I can play music that is on my device.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
When my internet goes down, I can still play music stored locally. I don't have any Apple devices but I can play files from my Android devices and from my NAS.
I can't do anything .. that's why I would like to wire all the speakers
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I don't understand how wiring your speakers will help. That changes your network, but not the internet. If your network is still working then you should be able to play locally stored music, regardless of if your speakers are wired or not. Unless there is an issue with playing locally stored music from an iPad?
Honestly, I'm not sure I understand all those terms. My idea was since the wireless internet is not working, I should connect all speakers via cable and make an old school wired system with no internet involved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi davidbogichevic

Sorry you and your customers are getting displeased at times. Not to worry. Frist of all unless you are streaming via a music service the internet going down is a non-issue. Sonos only uses the internet during initial setup, to update the Sonos app, with Alexa voice assistant or as I said to stream music via a music service.

If you are planning to use an iPad which means you have downloaded tunes resident on it that you own (i.e. paid for) you're good-to-go as long as you have one of the setups below:

Wi-Fi (now called wireless) wherein your router generates the Wi-Fi signal (which doesn't need the internet to do so)
Boost (now called wired) wherein a Sonos speaker or dedicated Boost module is wired to a Lan Port on your router.

Here's a link with topics on setting up Sonos in one of the manners mentioned above as well as the pro's and con's: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Please post back if you have questions, want to elaborate more on your issue and/or want to share the final outcome.:8

Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Honestly, I'm not sure I understand all those terms. My idea was since the wireless internet is not working, I should connect all speakers via cable and make an old school wired system with no internet involved.

Sorry. I am not IT literate either.

My point is that your Sonos is all linked to your Router. The Router is then linked to the Internet via a Modem In my house the Modem is in the same box as the Router. In my understanding, the Internet going down is outside my house - the Modem cannot do it's job for some reason, but the Router is still working. If my Router is working, my phone can still see my Sonos speakers in my Sonos app. If the Router is not working then my phone cannot see my Sonos speakers. Whether you wire your speakers or not will not necessarily help if your Router is not working.

In my house, as long as my Router is working, I can play music from my phone, or my tablet, or my Desktop PC etc. The Internet being down does not affect this at all. If the Internet is down I cannot stream music from Google, Amazon, Deezer or listen to Radio. If the Router is down then I cannot play any music at all through Sonos.

I hope that makes more sense?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hello,

I bought eight Sonos speakers for my restaurant and due to a bad internet connection, I think the best solution is to wire them together somehow. The issue starts every once in a while when internet breaks and place becomes silent. The guests are not happy, I am not happy .. You can get the picture.

Can someone please suggest me how to connect all of my speakers via cable to an iPad and when internet breaks, I can play music that is on my device.

Thanks in advance

If you run Ethernet to each Sonos and to an Ethernet switch connected to your router that will work. There is a good possibility that won't be needed as just wiring one Sonos device will move them from your WiFi to the SonosNet WiFi mesh that they generate when one is wired.

As for your music library I'd suggest a local NAS (must support SMB v1 connections) as a storage location. That eliminates any issues you might have from using a phone as the source.