Answered

Multiple devices on Multiple access points

• 24 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello all

Im aware this is a question that has been asked before but im yet to find a solution or answer that i understand.

I have a client who has an old Cob house with super thick walls. We have wired in TP-Link access points to each room with a single SSID on Auto channel configuration. This is so all devices can roam inside and outside on the same network seamlessly. This works fine for all phones and laptops etc.

With the new Wireless network in place we reconfigured the Sonos system setting up as like brand new. When in the Kitchen, id reset the Play1 Sonos then it would appear in my app and add as usually expected. When i then walk in to the Lounge. i see the App look like its lost connection as the username etc goes Grey, then after 15 seconds it appears white and showing connected apart from its no longer showing the Kitchen Sonos device. I continue by resetting the 2 x Lounge Sonos Play1 devices and add as a Stereo pair again in the usually expected manner. I can now see both connected and music streams beautifully. If i then walk back to the Kitchen, it does the same, loses connection, goes grey, comes back online after 15 seconds then the Kitchen Sonos device appears yet the Lounge devices disappear.

I can see from a technical viewpoint whats going on, the Sonos devices are thinking each AP is some sort of individual network but i was hoping that it would see the SSID as an individual network as all on the same subnet and DHCP range.

I tried wiring in one of the devices and setting it ap as the Sonosnet master but this only allowed me to connect the devices in range of this master device, anything in a room further away would not be visible and thus could not be added.

I tried changing the SSID channel on all AP’s to the same (which is totally not best practice in Networking) but this had no effect.

So at present my client has to enter the room that the Sonos devices are in in order to change Music for those devices. They were hoping that if in the Kitchen they could change music for all access points.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is this expected behaviour?

They had spent a fortune having all the access points wired in for full coverage but are now left disappointed that there music system does not offer the same expereince as a laptop or phone.

Appreciate any help here.

icon

Best answer by buzz 24 August 2022, 12:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Is ‘guest isolation’ or TP-Link equivalent enabled on the APs? 

Thanks for the quick response. 

Ive tried to find anything related to Guest Isolation but cannot find a setting related to this.

The Guest network is disabled within the TP-Link Omada controller, just a signle SSID with WPA2 authentication and 7 access points connected using the same subnet on auto channel.

I called Sonos support this morning who said they could see multipl hosueholds so it appears that Sonos is seeing each access point as a separate household thus setting up a new system each time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m not familiar with TP-link device, but a quick search returns this:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2089/

I would contact TP-Link for assistance. You may also want to check you can see non Sonos devices between APs first, eg ping devices that are associated on different APs. 

This isn’t about wireless client isolation. The APs are evidently not forwarding SSDP traffic correctly, possibly because subnet broadcasts are being blocked. 

I called Sonos support this morning who said they could see multipl hosueholds so it appears that Sonos is seeing each access point as a separate household thus setting up a new system each time.

This implies that as individual Rooms were added to the system they were each set up as “New” systems, not “Added” as new Rooms.

This will be messy to fix. You’ll need to Factory Reset all but one room, then “Add” the other Rooms to that system. If you have not yet incorporated a bunch of music services or surround Rooms, it hardly matters which Room (system) you keep as the basis of the system. Otherwise, don’t Factory Reset the most complicated Room (probably a surround room) and use this as the basis to build the system.

Once you have all of the units included in a single system (household), I think that your best approach would be to use SonosNet because the SONOS units don’t like access points that are constantly changing channels.

I don’t know how practical this would be now, but It would be easier to have all of the units together in one room, with LAN connections available, during the initial setup.