Multiple C:Amps with multiple Line-In Sources

Userlevel 2
I am designing a whole home audio system using multiple Connect:Amp units along with an AirPlay attached to one of the Sonos units, and then a CD player attached to the Line-In of another Sonos unit. Each Connect:Amp will run a zone in the house.

Would it be possible to play the Airplay source (which is connected to Sonos unit 1) on another Sonos unit... and vis-versa?

I hope I'm making sense :-)

Terry.

2 replies

I am designing a whole home audio system using multiple Connect:Amp units along with an AirPlay attached to one of the Sonos units, and then a CD player attached to the Line-In of another Sonos unit. Each Connect:Amp will run a zone in the house.

Would it be possible to play the Airplay source (which is connected to Sonos unit 1) on another Sonos unit... and vis-versa?

I hope I'm making sense :-)

Terry.

Yes, every line-in source can be played on every other unit, regardless of the unit it is connected to. You could even play the CD on the Airplay connected player, and the Airplay on the CD connnected unit, at the very same time.
larryboy,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Line-In on any SONOS unit can be played in any combination of SONOS rooms.

While the system that you imagine will work well, I think that you should move to the next level. Lots of users want to retain the ability to play from a CD player. This is sort of a safety net as one steps into uncharted waters. My experience has been that the CD player is used on day one of the SONOS experience, just to make sure that the safety net works, but by day two the CD is forgotten old technology.

Don't exert much effort to retain the CD player. If you have the CD player on hand and the room and an easy opportunity to make the connection, go for it. Let us know if the CD player survives until day two.

With respect to Airplay, consider the SONOS DOCK as an alternative. Anything playing through the docked unit can be played in any combination of SONOS players. Note that the iDevice can only play one stream at a time, Airplay or not, but this stream can be played in any combination of SONOS rooms.

An advantage the DOCK is that it will charge the docked iDevice and any SONOS controller can select tracks stored on the iDevice.

Normally, one's music is on a hard drive somewhere and the iDevice is playing a copy. It is much more convenient to play from your hard drive and you can play different things in every room. The iDevice is then free to be a phone or a pad.

Another advantage of the DOCK over Airplay is that the DOCK does not use WiFi. There is no need to give out your WiFi password simply to play a track from a guest's iDevice. The guest simply docks their device and whatever is playing is available in any SONOS room.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings