Answered

Moving House A's Sonos speakers to House B's system

• 9 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
  • Enthusiast II
  • 169 replies

I’m moving from House A to House B, taking House A’s Sonos speakers with me and planning to add them to House B’s existing Sonos system:

- House A is my house and my Sonos system;

- House B is my partner’s house and her Sonos system (mine really, but set up under her credentials, unlike in House A)

- The end result is we want all speakers working at House B in a single system. Both House A & B’s Sonos systems are currently fully WiFi (ie. no wired connections, no Sonosnet connections).

- NB A slight complication, perhaps, is that while House A is on S2, the destination system is on S1 as it still contains an old Play:5. As part of this move process, that old Play:5 will be removed and so it will be possible to update House B’s system to S2.

It’s not clear to me that the instructions in: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US  cover this scenario…

1. How do I go about achieving the above?

2. And importantly, do I need to do anything to “prepare” House A’s speakers pre-move, before I disconnect them from House A’s WiFi?

3. Also, will I need an Ethernet cable to achieve any of this (I believe I’ve just thrown out the last one as part of a pre-move clearance...!).

Thanks for the help!

icon

Best answer by ratty 9 June 2022, 22:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Remove the Play:5/gen1 and update B to S2.

Reset all Sonos apps used on A and add them to the existing system B.

Factory reset all of the hardware units from A and add each in turn to B.

Hi. First decision - do you want to keep the Sonos playlists, favourites etc from house A or B, or does it not matter?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi. First decision - do you want to keep the Sonos playlists, favourites etc from house A or B, or does it not matter?

There’s nothing in House A’s setup that needs keeping.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Remove the Play:5/gen1 and update B to S2.

Reset all Sonos apps used on A and add them to the existing system B.

Factory reset all of the hardware units from A and add each in turn to B.

Could you elaborate please?

The 1st and 3rd lines seem clear.

2nd line: what does “reset all the apps used on A” mean precisely?

If I can cheekily tuck in a further question here…

- if I upgrade the WiFi setup in House B, introducing a new WiFi router (either prior to or subsequent to the addition of House A’s speakers to House B’s system), what’s involved Sonos-wise in making that change?

@RDog,
I would perhaps choose to change the router after you have ‘amalgamated’ the two systems together as per @ratty’s instructions above…

When everything is all sorted and you have just the one ‘complete’ Sonos system at Home B, follow the instructions in this Sonos support document to change your Sonos system over to the new WiFi router…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061

You also asked separately asked the question …What does “reset all the apps used on A" mean precisely?

Answer: Obviously you will no longer be using your own Sonos Apps to control the Home ‘A’ Sonos system, so you can simply reset those Apps on your mobile devices etc; for use with the Home B system instead, which for mobiles/tablets is an option available in the S2 App via ‘Settings/App Preferences/Reset App’ 

So, if you first follow @ratty’s earlier post above, you will have set aside the old Play:5 (gen1) and ‘upgraded’ Home B from an S1 to an S2 System using your partners device and S1 controller App which will be upgraded to S2 in that process.

At some point you will connect your own mobile device/tablets etc. to the Home B WiFi network with the upgraded S2 system in place on that network. Simply open your ‘reset’ Sonos App and follow its opening screens and after agreeing to its terms/conditions etc; it will go onto invite you to connect to the new "existing" Home B Sonos System on that network, so you and your partner will then each have the Sonos S2 App on your devices to access and control the Home B system. 

Hope that assists 👍

Then you can refer to the Support link above to change the router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could choose to keep SSID and wifi password on the new wifi the same as on the old wifi. Then Sonos would probably not even notice the change to the new wifi.

^^^ What Ken says. 

Also, Google is your friend: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=reset+sonos+app

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Many thanks for the answers above, everyone.  I feel suitably armed now.