Move/Rooms/Grouping Question

Userlevel 1
Badge

Boy, I thought this would be an easy question to find an answer for.  I found the same or similar question being asked in multiple ways, but none of the answers so far seem to work.  I suspect this is a very basic question, so apologies in advance . . . 

I have an existing Sonos setup that I am using primarily for home theater & music listening.  Gen2 Beam, Sub, two Play:1s.  Pretty typical.

I have just purchased my first Move and I’ve set it up as an independent speaker/room called “Move” (the default).

I would like to add the Move to the existing setup so that it works as part of the home theater group - its main position is going to be in the dining room half of a large living/dining room area.

But I also want to use this as an indi speaker when outside or upstairs in a different room.  Pretty simple, eh?

I thought I could accomplish this flexibility by setting up Groups on the Sonos app, but the app tells me that I need at least three rooms to begin employing groups in the way that I was imagining.

How can I accomplish the above goal?  I can’t find a way to add the Move to the existing home theater grouping.  I don’t want to lose the existing 5.1 capability by creating a false third room using, say, the Play:1s, so how can the above be accomplished.

Thanks a ton!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, not really that simple, unfortunately.  But I think what you want, at least 95% of it, is possible.

A Move can not be part of a home theater setup, although it can be “grouped” as a room with the home theater “room”. It will always be delayed by a minimum of around 75 ms or more, due to the way that Sonos software and multi-room works.

But you can always “group” the Move with that home theater room, or un-group it for use elsewhere, that’s the nature of Sonos “groups” 

Not sure where “three rooms” comes in. Groups are always an option, but sometimes folks are lost when there’s two rooms and they don’t see the option to play in “Everywhere” since Sonos assumes that that is only shown when there’s more than two rooms in the Sonos controller. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, Air.  I did finally discover that I can achieve the grouping you speak of by pressing the play/pause button on the Move for a moment.  Then the drop-outs began and I gave up on that dream, lol.

I suppose a Bridge is in my future . . . ?  Not sure this would be of help, though.

My left surround is now lost - the app/system cannot find it and I cannot add it.  I may have to start from scratch again in setting up the living room, I’m not sure.  The app itself has now gone crazy - it still seems to assume that the home theater & the Move are connected, except they’re not.  

Argh.

The "three rooms" has to do with pre-defined rooms.  A pre-defined room with only 2 rooms on the system makes no sense.

To group the 2 rooms, do this:

The Move won’t work with the BRIDGE in any case, as the BRIDGE is S1 only. There probably isn’t a reason to add the more current version, a BOOST, to your setup. 

Dropouts on the “group” suggests some sort of wifi interference . The “heaviest” kind of Sonos signal to be carried across your wifi is from a line in, like the TV. There may not be enough to bother a standard music group, but just enough to bother a line in. It can be a challenge.  

I’d recommend that you group them again, and generate one of those “drop outs”, then once that has occurred, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

There’s multiple potential issues there, from duplicate IP addresses, to interference either within the home or from outside the home. That diagnostic would likely be the best way for Sonos to help figure out what’s going on.