Question

Move and Amp setup

• 22 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Looking at an outdoor setup for my pool and pavilion. Can I pair 2 Sonos move to the amp and connect the amp to my tv and play the tv sound through the two moves? I want to be able to move the moves around the pool in order to still here the tv. I thought about pairing the moves to the arc but the arc is not weatherproof for outdoor use. 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Janglin1.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for answers. Let me help you out.

I would like to share with you the Sonos Move’s specifications, limitations, functionalities, and guidelines to better understand how the Sonos Move works and functions.

• The Sonos Move (on Wi-Fi mode) can be stereo paired to another Sonos Move ( on Wi-Fi mode) using the create a stereo pair feature on the Sonos App.
  • The Sonos Move as indicated on the FAQ portion of the link above, cannot be added as surrounds to an existing Sonos Home theater speaker.
  • The Sonos Move Is water, dust, and shock-resistant but not the charging Base.
  • You can use the group and ungroup function on the Sonos App to group your Sonos Move to other Sonos devices listed on your Sonos App.
  • Using the group and ungroup function on the Sonos App to group another Sonos Device to a Sonos home theater speaker is possible. However, based on other members of the community’s feedback and our engineers, doing this causes a delay in the audio return of the grouped non-home theater Sonos device.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

The problem you’re going to run into is that when grouping two different Sonos rooms/zones when playing TV audio is that the rooms that are not connected to the TV (your Moves) are going to be slightly delayed in order to properly buffer for whole home audio.  This isn’t an issue if your Moves were outdoors and your TV inside, but it will create an echo effect if the rooms are near each other.  You can make setting adjustments so that your amp is behind the video a bit to match your Moves, but then you have lip sync issues to potentially deal with.

I would recommend connecting 2 pair of speakers to the amp with one set near the TV and the other around the pool, or whatever makes sense.  If you need more speakers then get a 2nd amp.  I’ve got a similar, but slightly different situation with 3 pairs of speakers and 2 TVs in my backyard (overkill I know).  The Move sounds like a cheap and easy idea, but I think you’ll get tired of having to take them outside all the time, making sure they are charged and in WiFi range, etc.  So much easier to have permanent passive speakers where you want them.