Answered

Mac app can't find existing system

• 26 November 2018
  • 8 replies

I downloaded the songs Mac app, but it can't detect my play 1 speaker. The iPhone app works just fine. The Mac app tells me to press two of the buttons on the speaker but it still does not detect anything. What do I do?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 November 2018, 05:35

Ah, then you have a macbook Air, I would suspect. Although I'll admit my Pro is a bit old, it still has an ethernet port.

But you've indeed raised a complication, being in a school and using a wifi signal from a router that you don't have access to. It is possible that while they appear to be the same SSID, they could be two different frequencies, and the router isn't passing the data between the two. One of the things I did on my own router is setup the names so that they were distinct, so one is called "Net2" and the other is called "Net5" so I could tell the difference. But it would have been just as easy to call them both "Net" and not worry about it. It's only special applications like Sonos that care about the difference.

Since you're in a school environment, you may need to talk to the school's IT department on this issue. If it were up to me, what I'd be doing is setting up my own personal travel router that connects to the school's wifi network, and creates my own personal wifi network for me to connect my phone, my computer, and my Sonos to. That way, I'd have a little more security, and keep anyone else on that school wifi from playing anything they wanted on my Sonos.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, adrianandresen. Can you please check your firewall settings? It sounds as though something specific to that computer may be blocking access. Let us know how this goes.
I went through the steps in your link but it did not make a difference. Still can't find my Sonos system. Does it make a difference that my system only contains a single Sonos play 1 speaker perhaps?
I'm guessing here, but is your Mac on a different wifi signal than your iPhone? Maybe the same router, but one is on 5Ghz, the other on 2.4Ghz.

I'm with Edward on the potential of a firewall issue, but if you've checked that, then I'd be looking at being on different subnets.

Is the one PLAY:1 you have connected to your router with an ethernet cable, or do you have it hanging off of your wifi signal?
My play 1 is connected through wifi
Try connecting the PLAY:1 to your router with an ethernet cable. Then connect your Mac with an ethernet cable to the router as well. See if you can then see the PLAY:1 in the controller. That should tell us whether it is a virus checker/firewall issue or not.
I have no way to connect my Mac with an ethernet cable though.. no dongle
I don't really have any information on what kind of wifisignal I have either, because I live in a student dorm and its all set up by someone else. I suspect my router distributes a wifisignal to the school network, aswell as the one I could choose name and password for myself. What I do know is that my Mac, my iPhone and my Sonos is all connected to the same wifisignal
Ah, then you have a macbook Air, I would suspect. Although I'll admit my Pro is a bit old, it still has an ethernet port.

But you've indeed raised a complication, being in a school and using a wifi signal from a router that you don't have access to. It is possible that while they appear to be the same SSID, they could be two different frequencies, and the router isn't passing the data between the two. One of the things I did on my own router is setup the names so that they were distinct, so one is called "Net2" and the other is called "Net5" so I could tell the difference. But it would have been just as easy to call them both "Net" and not worry about it. It's only special applications like Sonos that care about the difference.

Since you're in a school environment, you may need to talk to the school's IT department on this issue. If it were up to me, what I'd be doing is setting up my own personal travel router that connects to the school's wifi network, and creates my own personal wifi network for me to connect my phone, my computer, and my Sonos to. That way, I'd have a little more security, and keep anyone else on that school wifi from playing anything they wanted on my Sonos.