Loved Sonos until setting theater/surround

I was loving Sonos, bought Play:3, then Playbar, then One, then 2 new Onew with aim to set up as satellites in theater/surround sound.
But I never expect that pairing 2 satellite One to Playbar witll work ONLY when Dolby Digitial audio source is on the optical input to Playbar!
Of course I understand that full real surround I can get only on DD source, but I expect that even without DD source Sonos will somehow deal with it, at least as my 10 years old Sony system did.
Without DD source satellites are fully dumb and useless.
I am disappointed because mostly I use Sonos with Spotify and Netflix which don't support DD
So it seems only way to use Satellites is to pair them together as stereo and group with Sonos playbar. Poor.

Question 1:
That's true right? Nothing wrong with my config and approach?

Question 2:
My goal was to buy Sonos SUB in next step. But now I am concerned.
Will SUB also work only with DD source ?
Will I take benefit of it when using Spotify or Netflix streaming (vie Chromecast) ?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That's true right? Nothing wrong with my config and approach?

No, not exactly. When the source is TV audio (through the optical connection) the rears will only play through DD sources. If from a music source like Spotify, then you can set the rears to play full stereo.

Changing the surround settings

The default setting is determined by the calibration process. If you wish to make a change, you can follow the steps below.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US#surround_settings

Using the Sonos App for iOS or Android

Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Room Settings.
Select the room the home theater speakers and surround speakers are located in. It appears as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.
Select Advanced Audio > Surround Settings.
Choose one of the following:
Surrounds: Choose On or Off to turn the sound from the surround speakers on and off.
TV Level: Drag your finger across the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers for TV playback.
Music Level: Drag your finger across the slider to increase or decrease the volume of the surround speakers for Music playback.
Music Playback: Choose Ambient (default; subtle, ambient sound) or Full (enables louder, full range sound). This setting applies only to music playback, not TV audio.

Question 2:
My goal was to buy Sonos SUB in next step. But now I am concerned.
Will SUB also work only with DD source ?
Will I take benefit of it when using Spotify or Netflix streaming (vie Chromecast) ?[/quote]

The sub will always play regardless of the source. I don't have Chromecast, so can't speak to that specifically, if you setup Spotify as a music service in Sonos, you cam stream stereo audio to the rears as I explained above. Also Netflix does have content in DD 5.1, I get it when using firetv or my TV's smart apps. Again, not sure about Chromecast,
The problem is that I already tried Surround Settings and with Spotify source (or any other) with any mix of settings (on/of, music level, ambient/full) rears are always dumb.
When switched on - rears diode blinks in green, when switched off - blinks in white.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The problem is that I already tried Surround Settings and with Spotify source (or any other) with any mix of settings (on/of, music level, ambient/full) rears are always dumb.
When switched on - rears diode blinks in green, when switched off - blinks in white.

You mentioned earlier that you're accessing spotify through chromecast. That won't work to hear music from the rears. You would need to setup your spotifiy account directly in the Sonos app with the music playback set to full.
No, I use Chromecast for Netflix, Spotify is used directly in Sonos.
It's also pity that Sonos doesn't have any "test surround option" to check if surround is set up properly.
Situation became clear.
Because I have Playbar connected via Ethernet cable I disabled WiFi on playbar. In this case rears don't work at all.
It's not written anywhere that Wifi must be enabled and Sonos App itself doesn't check it nor warn
After enabling Wifi on Playbar, rears started to work as I expected.

Now I have a question. With wifi enabled in settings and attached Ethernet cable. Will Playbar use Ethernet or Wifi. I hope Ethernet?
It should continue to use Ethernet for streaming music to the PLAYBAR, and the surrounds should continue to be connected via the 5Ghz network that the PLAYBAR uses. Of course the TV would continue to use the optical connection.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings