Question

• 26 October 2017
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Why ton earth should I log in to connect to MY PERSONAL SYSTEM ??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Diceman, we're happy to help.

With the last couple updates, we've added some requested security features that link your Sonos system to your Sonos account. This way, the only way to access is to do some advanced things, like add payers, is to first log in.

If you haven't registered your Sonos system with a Sonos account yet, you'll want to do that to get everything up and running.

What screen are you getting to where you're having trouble?

If you'd like a hand live, you're welcome to give us a call on our support line and a technician can assist in getting your account squared away and system all set.
With the last couple updates, we've added some requested security features that link your Sonos system to your Sonos account. This way, the only way to access is to do some advanced things, like add payers, is to first log in.

If you haven't registered your Sonos system with a Sonos account yet, you'll want to do that to get everything up and running.

I don't use any services that require payment, and largely stream from a local NAS - the very occasional use of a radio station
i) Why do I need an account?
ii) If I do have to set up an account, how often are the credentials checked?
iii) If the check fails, what happens? e.g. does my system still work?
You have always needed an account. You could not have installed your system without the account. This just confirms that information with greater security.
You have always needed an account. You could not have installed your system without the account. This just confirms that information with greater security.

I don't believe this is true. I just bought a new speaker, and it's telling me I can't add it unless I sign into my account. I've been using Sonos for years and have never before had to sign into any account to add a zone.

I'm with Diceman and Amun -- I don't want an account to use my personal system!

I don't believe this is true. I just bought a new speaker, and it's telling me I can't add it unless I sign into my account. I've been using Sonos for years and have never before had to sign into any account to add a zone.

I'm with Diceman and Amun -- I don't want an account to use my personal system!

It is 100% true. Every Sonos device has required you to register it to an account since day one.
[
It is 100% true. Every Sonos device has required you to register it to an account since day one.

Well something is different. Like I said, I never had to sign into anything, provide any credentials, etc. to add a zone before today. I don't like it and I'm not alone.
[

Well something is different. Like I said, I never had to sign into anything, provide any credentials, etc. to add a zone before today. I don't like it and I'm not alone.

You most certainly did sign in and register them to your account the first time you installed a Sonos system (unless you had an installer and he registered them to his account). Since then, each unit was registered automatically to the original account. Don't believe me? Sign into your account here and check out all the units:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/products/

Note, if you do not see them listed under "Your Products", they are under a different account, like another e-mail or your installer's account. To get them registered to your account, see the topic "I forgot my password and no longer have access to my account's email, can I change the Sonos account my players are linked to?" in this link:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4136

By the way, here is the policy on registration:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4136/~/creating-your-sonos-account

Recently they have increased security because of the connection to the cloud so they require you to sign in. But rest assured, every Sonos device is registered to your account (or whatever account you registered them with) and that information has always been used to register the products.
Don't believe me? Sign into your account here and check out all the units:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/products/

Thanks for the link. Is shows that the registration dates on my components is TODAY. I've been using Sonos since the mid-2000s. This suggests to me that all of this registration stuff is new. I don't like it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
[

The difference is that previously, the credentials for your old account were automatically passed to the new player. Now we've made things more secure and when you add new players you need to put in the credentials for your Sonos Account. Security is something we take very seriously and will continue to improve.

That said, we're also going to keep trying to make using Sonos a pleasure to everyone. I'll make sure to pass on your feedback about this to the team.
+1 to this. Just received a new Play1 (without Alexa)..

I don't like it either.. Seriously considering sending ALL my sonos kit back..
Oh and Alexa integration - that we seem to be being forced into - NO THANKS!!!
Security is something we take very seriously and will continue to improve.
So when are you going to change the system from SMBv1 to something more secure?
I also note that you never answered parts of my question above, either :-
Security is something we take very seriously and will continue to improve.
So when are you going to change the system from SMBv1 to something more secure?
I also note that you never answered parts of my question above, either :-

And yet again, no response from Sonos... This really is appalling....
I bought a system purely to play my local files - I want to know what will happen if for any reason the Sonos kit can't talk to Sonos servers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I bought a system purely to play my local files - I want to know what will happen if for any reason the Sonos kit can't talk to Sonos servers.

Nothing. You can continue to listen to your music, you only need access to the internet to add new components, then you can disconnect.

Nothing. You can continue to listen to your music, you only need access to the internet to add new components, then you can disconnect.

With the greatest respect, I am (still) asking for a response from a Sonos employee...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
:8 😃 Why don't you email or call them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry for the delay, amun. I missed the notification here.

We don't have any specifics I can share today regarding changes to the Sonos SMB sharing for local libraries. It's a requirement for sharing off of local devices for Sonos right now, but if you're worried about having SMBv1 on your computer, you could have a dedicated music NAS running SMBv1 for Sonos. As soon as there's any news that we can say, I'll be sure to let you know.

As to your questions, the Sonos account credentials are only asked for when you go to use certain settings, like adding new Sonos components. It's so that your system can be verified with our servers. Other than going into those settings, the system doesn't randomly check your credentials. The idea is to make it more secure, not to put obstacles between you and your music.

There has always been an account requirement for Sonos in order to receive updates and any service that wasn't TuneIn. Systems have always had to be registered, but that was done at setup and may never have had the emails confirmed. With the more recent changes, we're adding lots of features and some of them require securely registered accounts, which means an occasional password.
Sorry for the delay, amun. I missed the notification here.
Thank you for your reply

.... you could have a dedicated music NAS running SMBv1 for Sonos.
That is what I'm having to do at the moment.

As to your questions, the Sonos account credentials are only asked for when you go to use certain settings, like adding new Sonos components. It's so that your system can be verified with our servers..
So under what precise conditions will the check be carried out, and what will be the effect be if the authentication fails for any reason?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So under what precise conditions will the check be carried out, and what will be the effect be if the authentication fails for any reason?
Offhand, the only times I believe it comes up is if you go to add a new Sonos player to your system, setting up voice services, and when changing the explicit content settings in the app. You'll be asked to sign in to your Sonos system in order to authorize the new device or change those settings. If you can't log in, the app won't move on to the next step. If you fail to log in when trying to add a new device, you won't be able to add it until you sign in.

Future updates could bring changes, but we don't have any specific plans around other settings that could be moved behind the login. Those above are security concerns that we put behind the password so that you'd be able to confirm your identity before making an important change to your system. It prevents kids from turning off parental controls. It makes sure that the right people set up voice control in your home. And that you have the approval to add new devices.
Offhand, the only times I believe it comes up is if you go to add a new Sonos player to your system, setting up voice services, and when changing the explicit content settings in the app. You'll be asked to sign in to your Sonos system in order to authorize the new device or change those settings. If you can't log in, the app won't move on to the next step. If you fail to log in when trying to add a new device, you won't be able to add it until you sign in.

Future updates could bring changes, but we don't have any specific plans around other settings that could be moved behind the login. Those above are security concerns that we put behind the password so that you'd be able to confirm your identity before making an important change to your system. It prevents kids from turning off parental controls. It makes sure that the right people set up voice control in your home. And that you have the approval to add new devices.

Thanks for the information...
MUST LOG IN??????? So I foolishly update my App on 3 March and after 5 years of using a reliable system I can no longer use my sonos player because I do not have an account with sonos! How can Sonos lock you out of using your player ( which is what has happened ) suddenly because I have no account. So I create an account, try to log in but now I haven’t registered my product 5 years ago with my account AND system won’t let me register. Are you serious!! Sonos you should give users the option to sign in or not. I can no longer use my product!! What am I supposed to do now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
How about giving them a call? The help desk have been very helpful when I have needed to call them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, all. If you are having any issues accessing or creating an account, I would recommend giving us a call, as has been advised by bockersjv. This will enable us to get you up-and-running as soon as possible.
Because when I have tried to call you, it happens to be out of hours, unless there is an extended support number I am unaware of. My emails and diagnostic report hasn’t received much of an effective response. The point is, there is no opt out of heightened security measures you claim as being so critical to a music speaker system, it would be nice if you warned people of the implications of an upgrade, and provided the opportunity for those who choose to use the system in the same manner they have previously used it, to continue so. I am not isolated in my frustration, in speaking to another Sonos owner, they have come to the conclusion they too will opt for a different system in the future because if the hassle of getting a music speaker working.