Library 'full' issue

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 2
Just to check from my end - where should I expect to see the WMP server appearing?

I'm looking in two places each time I try anything: in the Music Services tab of the Music Library half of the main interface, and on the list of available services in the Music>Setup Services>Add menu.

If I should be looking elsewhere, that might be my problem!
On the Desktop Controller, it should already be in the Music Services list. You shouldn't have to add it.

It will also appear on the Music Menu of the other Controllers.
Userlevel 2
Okay, then it's not me being dense. It's definitely not showing there.
That's most odd. It appears instantly when I add it to mine.

Screenshot.

Not sure why it wouldn't happen to everyone. Perhaps Sonos Support has an explanation.
Userlevel 2
And this is what I see 😞
Well, if you've activated the WMP server display on Sonos, set WMP to stream, and allowed the ZonePlayers as streaming targets, I don't see why it won't work.

If you right-click on a track in Windows Explorer -- a track that you're sure will play in WMP -- and choose 'Play To...' from the popup and select a ZonePlayer, does the music play?
Userlevel 2
Yes it does, and that's what really gets me. I know the link is there, but it just doesn't show in the Sonos desktop controller. I can use 'play to' directly or via WMP 12, but those don't have some of the Sonos options I want, of course, like linking zones, etc. so it feels like half a success if I do it by bypassing the Sonos desktop controller interface.
I'm curious to see what Support thinks of this.
Userlevel 2
To answer Majik's question, the library tab is empty. Nothing in there. I can set up a library share for my USB music and it'll index part of that library and let me play it, but the objective here is to find a way for the whole library to show by using WMP 12 streaming. To help diagnose whether we have a working fix, I've deleted the partial library to be sure it doesn't confuse me. I can be a bear of very little brain sometimes 😉
Do the tracks appear in the WMP music library?
Userlevel 2
Yes they do.

I've been working with Sonos reps down here in New Zealand (kudos to Jason for his help) and we've been playing with firewall settings. We seem to have progress... that's the good news. Sometimes I see the Windows Media entry in the Music Services tab. Occasionally I can even play tracks from it.

The bad news is that it seems like the whole of Sonos Desktop Controller has become unstable. It goes to 'not responding' frequently for 30 second or more. It sometimes doesn't bring up Windows Media. And most frustratingly of all, it's not consistent in what it's doing.

I'm going to do some diagnostic testing to see if I can figure a pattern to its activity and the errors, and then I'll report back.
Userlevel 2
Okay, so just checking... if I move my S5 from one room to another (as happens when I'm listening to something in the office then for instance head upstairs to start making dinner), should I expect my music to stop playing when I plug it back in upstairs, and for the queue to have been cleared?

Just checking whether that's normal behaviour and, if so, to ask "???" How do I stop that? These things are meant to travel from room to room with you, so for it to wipe what you're playing and make you go back to the controller, set everything up again, and hit 'play'... I'm guessing that's an error and a problem with the way I've linked things through WMP right?
Userlevel 2
Question 2 in my efforts to diagnose the behaviour I'm seeing:

When I fire up my desktop controller software, I see the Windows media, but it inevitably only has a small chunk of the artists at the beginning of the alphabet. if I try to look for something under 'L' for instance, the controller goes into spasms, not responding, then jerking for a few seconds, then not responding (it's actually writing that in the header bar). After about half an hour it seems to find the rest of the tracks in my WMP library, but it takes that long.

I'm assuming that's not normal. Especially Sonos desktop controller going into spasms of not responding. Would I be right about that?
Okay, so just checking... if I move my S5 from one room to another (as happens when I'm listening to something in the office then for instance head upstairs to start making dinner), should I expect my music to stop playing when I plug it back in upstairs, and for the queue to have been cleared?
Technically, the music stops playing when you *unplug* the S5 :)

But yes, when you plug in a ZonePlayer, it is unaware of any previous queue. The queue is stored in volatile memory, and it is cleared on any interruption of power.

Just checking whether that's normal behaviour and, if so, to ask "???" How do I stop that?

It is normal. As to why, well, it is what it is.

When I want to "pick up where I left off" when I move my S5, I temporarily link another zone to it, unlink the S5 (effectively moving the queue to the new zone), move the S5, relink it, and unlink the temp zone. Yes, that requires interaction with a controller.
These things are meant to travel from room to room with you, so for it to wipe what you're playing and make you go back to the controller, set everything up again, and hit 'play'... I'm guessing that's an error and a problem with the way I've linked things through WMP right?
It's not you. The S5 has no batteries, and the queue is not retained on power down.

I prefer to think of the S5 as 'relocatable' rather than 'portable'. I can move it, but I have to tell it what to do when I get there.
Userlevel 2
Okay, that explains that. At least it's one thing I can tick off the list as I narrow in on what's causing the controller to have issues.

Now just to figure out why my controller software keeps jamming and not responding.
Your controller may be waiting for a response from the WMP server, which itself may need to access the PC hard disk and is subject to the whims of Windows.

You may be able to improve on the WMP response by:
- ensuring that the PC is hard-wired to the network
- boosting the process priority of the WMP server
Userlevel 2
I've just upped its priority to 'high' (any idea what 'realtime' is as a priority - I haven't seen that in previous versions of Windows), and I'll run some tests. Good idea, as always, ratty.
No! Don't use real-time priority. It could make your machine unresponsive!
Userlevel 2
30 minutes and it still hasn't added anything more to the list from my WMP library. So as long as I want to listen to 'A', 'B' or 'C' I'm fine!
Userlevel 2
Feck. Turning on WMP and using 'play to' it told me the media streaming was off again. So it looks like I can't count on the streaming options to stick. Back to the support guys to find out what's next....
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
There are several solutions now ..

Having tried a few recently (PLEX, splitting archive and indexing each part as and when),

I have found the following to be the easiest option :

http://anderware.org/dev/M3U4U.htm

After some trial and error, I have now split my archive.

All 'Various Artists' albums are in a seperate directory, eg Music_v2
This newly created VA directory is scanned using the m3u4u application to create a Mirror listings directory with just the M3U files,
leaving Sonos to index the rest.

This has given me a lot of space in the index library, as my VA compilations consist of a lot of tracks,
many of which have very long album/trackname titles and were probably soaking up a lot more than 1 slot per track.

Subsequently, my Sonos now has 2 libraries.

1 = the M3U listings of all the Various Artist compilations
2 = the rest of the archive

The search works across the weird random/artist specific archive, and the rest I can drag out via the M3U listings.

And as I approach the limit once more, all I have to do, is take the catalogue of a particular band, drop it into Music_V2. let m34u recreate a new Mirror listing, and away i go again.

No need for any external access a la PLEX/Subsonic, no internet delay, and a massive amount of flexibility and extra space in the library.

Hope this helps !

M