Latest update requires a Sonos account? Please knock it off.

I don't want a Sonos account. I have enough accounts out there already. I paid a lot of money for the hub and speakers and now my usage is being held hostage to Sonos' desire for that fat data harvesting loot? The last couple of updates had a "skip" button re: Sonos account, and that was annoying but acceptable, barely. Forcing an account is just ******. I'll be Craigslisting my Sonos gear unless this requirement is rescinded.

31 replies

I imagine Sonos expected a few people to feel as you do and have factored that in. So no chance of a U-turn and Craigslist it will be. That's a shame.
Badge +1
It was always inevitable; I'm surprised they didn't require accounts years ago, just make a separate email to use for "accounts".
Got news for you, your devices are already assigned to an account. They have always required an account, you could not have set up your system without one, so the data collection capability has always been there. Sonos has also stated they never sell your data to 3rd parties. The newest requirement to enter the account details has nothing to do with data collection, and everything to do with not allowing people to access your system from the outside, due to Sonos being more open to the internet.

So shame on Sonos for protecting your system from outside hackers .
I bought my first Sonos speaker, a Play 5, on November 8th 2009. I didn’t have an account then. I bought my second on November 24th of the same year. No account. I bought my third in September 2010, no account. Your condescending explanation clarifies Sonos motivation for login somewhat. I don’t care. If Sonos has explained it clearly before forcing it I would have agreed, if grudgingly, but I have to hear it from some snarky tool in a forum? That’s why I created an account, y’know, so I could troubleshoot issues with my speakers. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone with my little rant. I find it immensely frustrating being forced into creating an account for something I have used account-free for the last decade.
Yes, you did have an account, Sonos has always required you to have an account. This very fact was explained in no uncertain terms by a Sonos rep just a few days back.

Here's how it worked: Your initial purchase required registering to an email address, which became your account. Each unit after that was assigned to the account automatically. They have recently replaced the automatic assignment in favor of requiring account information to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting to your system. This has nothing to do with data collection, they've already been collecting your data for years now.

I may be a tool, but I'm not an uninformed tool.
What a f***ing waste of time! Sonos why didn't you send me an email (you have my details) and let me know I would have to jump through all these f***ing hoops just to play my own music! I paid good money for your products so have a bit of common decency snf let me know next time you want me to waste hslf an hour I will never get back. I went to listen to a particular radio program and completely missed it because I had all this sign in crap to deal with. I don't disagree with signing in or accounts it is perfectly valid but make it so I have some choice when I do it. Hopefully whoever thougjt of doing it this way will desperately need a crap and the toilet they used to use will now charge you and you won't have any change! People who come up with these systems migjt have knowledge but to my mind lack experience snd common sense of the real world. Wait until you are a bit older and have some life experience before you write software that ordinary people just need to use. Sorry for the rant but with age comes common sense. You will realise when you get there how many people you pissed off because you just did it without thinking it through with an adult.
The fact that Sonos always had an account for me is a techie but irrelevant explanation. Until now I didn’t need to have an account, password etc just to use my system! I have lost all respect for Sonos.
Badge +1
I knew we had some kind of "account", I didn't quite know the right way to word it; but I do remember providing my email. What is all the drama with so many different posts complaining about having to make a "login", and then the complaints about "forced" software updates. These are speakers with computers inside them, they require updates. The updates, the account, protect users security, make their systems run smoother, fix audio issues, etc. They are a GOOD thing; people are acting as if Sonos is evil :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And there is no "fat data harvesting loot"... The last sentence in the first paragraph of Sonos' privacy policy CLEARLY STATES...

And we do not and will not sell your data to third parties.

I don't think it gets any clearer than that... they aren't making any money from your data. If you'd like to read it for yourself, the link to Sonos' privacy policy is at the bottom of nearly every page on their website, including this community site.
I bought my Sonos in 2008, and have been happy for many years. But it is not clear to me why I need to have an account in order to use my product.

Can someone please explain how this is a requirement now? I cannot make sense of it.
jgatie wrote:

The newest requirement to enter the account details has nothing to do with data collection, and everything to do with not allowing people to access your system from the outside, due to Sonos being more open to the internet.

This does not make sense. My Sonos is connected to my personal, protected WiFi. I don't know what you mean by "Sonos being more open to the internet" but I don't need it to be open to the internet, I don't need a Trojan horse on my home network. Since I bought the system in 2015, I've been slowly getting tired with the numerous updates I have been forced to install. I have not seen any improvement of any use to me and just came to realise that a system I bought to play content from my NAS on my HiFi is becoming more and more difficult to use. The only improvement I'd like is to see the CD cover quickly... this never happened.

Very disappointed indeed.
fabienpoe wrote:

This does not make sense. My Sonos is connected to my personal, protected WiFi. I don't know what you mean by "Sonos being more open to the internet" but I don't need it to be open to the internet, I don't need a Trojan horse on my home network. Since I bought the system in 2015, I've been slowly getting tired with the numerous updates I have been forced to install. I have not seen any improvement of any use to me and just came to realise that a system I bought to play content from my NAS on my HiFi is becoming more and more difficult to use. The only improvement I'd like is to see the CD cover quickly... this never happened.

You may not need it open to the internet, but millions of others do. So should Sonos eliminate the benefits to those millions of users because of a slight inconvenience to you?
resonos wrote:

I bought my first Sonos speaker, a Play 5, on November 8th 2009. I didn’t have an account then. I bought my second on November 24th of the same year. No account. I bought my third in September 2010, no account. Your condescending explanation clarifies Sonos motivation for login somewhat. I don’t care. If Sonos has explained it clearly before forcing it I would have agreed, if grudgingly, but I have to hear it from some snarky tool in a forum? That’s why I created an account, y’know, so I could troubleshoot issues with my speakers. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone with my little rant. I find it immensely frustrating being forced into creating an account for something I have used account-free for the last decade.

jgatie wrote:

fabienpoe wrote:

You may not need it open to the internet, but millions of others do. So should Sonos eliminate the benefits to those millions of users because of a slight inconvenience to you?

That statement is a false dichotomy. People that may benefit from supplying account credentials should be permitted to do so. And where it is not necessary, people should not be required to supply credentials.

The issue is the latter. I am being required to do something that I cannot understand as being necessary.
bseib wrote:

I bought my Sonos in 2008, and have been happy for many years. But it is not clear to me why I need to have an account in order to use my product.

Okay, let me try. Over those 10 years you will have received a continuous stream of free updates to the software on your system, delivering new functionality -- not all features perhaps of your choosing, but nevertheless much of it of benefit. (My system is of a similar age, and its functionality today is leaps and bounds ahead of the kit I originally purchased.)

So, in exchange for all those new free features, Sonos merely ask that you register your system so they can track the destinations of firmware downloads. On that basis even the most rudimentary cost/benefit analysis suggests that the customer wins hands down.
bseib wrote:

That statement is a false dichotomy. People that may benefit from supplying account credentials should be permitted to do so. And where it is not necessary, people should not be required to supply credentials.

The issue is the latter. I am being required to do something that I cannot understand as being necessary.

No false dichotomy at all. Sonos shouldn't have to spend the countless man hours it will take to create individual sets of firmware that cater to each user's needs. Some people don't want any internet connectivity. That's one use case. Some only want streaming. Some want streaming with voice control.
Some want no voice control capabilities at all. Some want the microphones turned off. Some want them permanently on. Point is, you are one of millions, each on a sliding scale of use cases.

Should Sonos craft a separate release for each point on that sliding scale?

Or should they do what they have done, enable all capabilities (and all the security measures that go with them) and let the user decide which of them they want to use?
Badge
A couple of things. I don't require constantly updated apps, just the ability to use the speaker eco-system I bought, in the way I used it when it was bought.

As I have never asked for constantly updated firmware, and when that firmware actually degrades my experience with my speaker eco-system, then those updates clearly are meant to improve someone else's experience (Amazon springs immediately to mind who no doubt require lots of data slurp to allow Alexa to be tied to a third party product),

Although the conditions say that our data is not sold, it does not mention trading, aggregating, anonymising, passing to parent corporations (who do not suffer from the same self-declared "restrictions") or processing via AI systems to infer yet more data about us (did you know that Facebook deliberately does not ask for Ethnicity but instead infers an "Ethnic Affinity". Of course they claim this isn't personal data as it's a "best guess", just one that happens to be 99.9% accurate.).

And then we get into the ability of Sonos to actually protect the data they ask for. When Sonos gets hacked, and it will happen, all that data (much of it inferred) will be made available to millions of bad actors who will use as much of it as they can to monetise it.

My gut feeling is that by embroiling themselves with data-hungry corporations Sonos are actively engaged in selling all of us down the river, and I am adjusting my setup accordingly. The devices I already own will be quarantined, the controllers and apps will be restricted in a similar way. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and thank god I've got GDPR on my side.
So not only do you now require me to create an account. You guys actually had the audacity and arrogance to DISABLE almost all controls in my existing system to try and FORCE ME into getting your bloody update. Just so that you could once again FORCE ME into creating an account.

Once again. I PAID for my equipment, and still somehow you think you have the right to mess with it, and take EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY away from me?

Really???

Well, I'll be damned if I won't write about this ridiculous blackmailing attempt to every tech related site I can find.

And I do have a lot of free time on my hands.
YouKiddingMe wrote:

Excellent. You can therefore figure out how you allowed the controller apps to auto-update from their app store. Since they were therefore at a version different from the players then, not unreasonably, the system required a firmware update to bring everything back into step.
@YouKiddingMe. Hey, chill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
YouKiddingMe wrote:

Once again. I PAID for my equipment, and still somehow you think you have the right to mess with it, and take EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY away from me?

Yes, you bought the equipment. You didn't buy the software. You have a free license to use the software Sonos provides. Big difference. I get that that doesn't help you with your frustration, but it's still an important distinction if you're going to talk about rights.

YouKiddingMe wrote:

Really???

Well, I'll be damned if I won't write about this ridiculous blackmailing attempt to every tech related site I can find.

Blackmail? How so?
melvimbe wrote:

Blackmail? How so?

Since when did writing to journalists become blackmailing?

Do all sonos apologists have altered perception of reality?
YouKiddingMe wrote:

melvimbe wrote:

Blackmail? How so?

Since when did writing to journalists become blackmailing?

Do all sonos apologists have altered perception of reality?

You shall re-read your own scribblings...

YouKiddingMe wrote:

Well, I'll be damned if I won't write about this ridiculous blackmailing attempt to every tech related site I can find. [...]

ratty wrote:

You can therefore figure out how you allowed the controller apps to auto-update from their app store.

Say what? I'm on a Windows 7 computer, there's no app store.

The only way the controller software could have suddenly lost 90% of the functionality is a time bomb in its code that was set to deactivate them on a certain date or after certain number of refused updates.

In any case, this will now be up to the tech journos to investigate.
YouKiddingMe wrote:

Say what? I'm on a Windows 7 computer, there's no app store.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings