Answered

iTunes playlist importing issues

• 20 September 2018
  • 18 replies

Hi - I used to have my iTunes playlist in the imported playlist folder. Noticed as I updated playlist or added new ones it would not update in the Sonos controller. I deleted my Sonos music library and readded it in an attempt to update my playlists....all music is there except the playlists. Now my imported playlist folder is empty. I have gone thru all of the troubleshooting list on your website. Any idea what the issue may be? Its odd since I have done this in the past

Note: I have PC, recently updated to the new iTunes, and store my iTunes media files in a separate internal hard drive (not in "my music" folder), and also pasted the .xml of my library in the same folder as my iTunes music folder

Happy to send over diagnostics if needed.me thanks
icon

Best answer by Smilja 24 September 2018, 16:48

[...] Note: I have PC, recently updated to the new iTunes, and store my iTunes media files in a separate internal hard drive (not in "my music" folder), and also pasted the .xml of my library in the same folder as my iTunes music folder
Not sufficient. All media files have to be consolidated into the parent folder. Subsequently the share/path should point to the parent folder 'iTunes' (not 'iTunes Media') in order for Sonos to have access to music files, album art and playlists.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625
View original

18 replies

I am having the same issue. It seems to have occured after the latest update.
[...] Note: I have PC, recently updated to the new iTunes, and store my iTunes media files in a separate internal hard drive (not in "my music" folder), and also pasted the .xml of my library in the same folder as my iTunes music folder
Not sufficient. All media files have to be consolidated into the parent folder. Subsequently the share/path should point to the parent folder 'iTunes' (not 'iTunes Media') in order for Sonos to have access to music files, album art and playlists.

Embarrassed to say this is user error. My music library settings were pointing to iTunes Media. I updated it to just the iTunes folder and my playlists are back.
OMG - I have been having this problem with my SONOS for 4 years. None of my playlist updates have ever updated regardless of the number of times I have DELETEd or ADDed my music library.

SONOS - could you PLEASE develop a tool that finds the XML Playlist files and proposes to the user which one to use?
It can't be that difficult to sort this out for your users.

In my case, I have all my music on an external drive, but I think iTunes saves all the playlist info (as well as music library back-ups) on the C drive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, sonostourist. You may want to review this article from Apple. This might be a good start. This way you can get everything into one location.
Badge +3
I have followed that article to the letter and still no playlists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have followed that article to the letter and still no playlists.

Hi Caher,

Usually when your iTunes playlists aren't updating, or are missing, it is due to the iTunes playlist file being in a location on your computer that is not being indexed by Sonos. The iTunes Music Library.xml file usually lives in your computer's Music folder under the iTunes folder. If you have set up a music share such that Sonos is looking at your main music folder, usually it will grab the playlist file and import your iTunes playlists.

If you send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number I can take a look for you.
Badge +3
Hi Jeff,

my diagnostic number is 296928901. If you have somewhere less public I can certainly show you my Itunes library file sitting in the correct location on my NAS.
thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

my diagnostic number is 296928901. If you have somewhere less public I can certainly show you my Itunes library file sitting in the correct location on my NAS.
thanks

Do you copy over your iTunes Music Library.xml file from the music folder on your computer to the shared folder on your NAS after making changes? Usually iTunes only updates that file on the local computer, not on the NAS drive, even if you store your music files there.
Badge +3
I first consolidate the files on my cdrive. Then move that folder to the Nas. Then i use the export library from my cdrive to the NAS. Lastly I open iTunes on the NAS and import the xml and ensure its pointing to the location of my iTunes folder.
As this seems so difficult to work I'll have either manually recreate the play lists in sonos or export from my cdrive playlist by playlist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I first consolidate the files on my cdrive. Then move that folder to the Nas. Then i use the export library from my cdrive to the NAS. Lastly I open iTunes on the NAS and import the xml and ensure its pointing to the location of my iTunes folder.
As this seems so difficult to work I'll have either manually recreate the play lists in sonos or export from my cdrive playlist by playlist.

If you send in a diagnostic report and reply with the number I can take a look. Most of the time the issue is that the shared folder that Sonos indexes does not contain the up to date xml, but there can be other issues, such as an error in reading the xml file due to unsupported characters, for example.
Badge +3
Hi Jeff - I sent a report and number on an earlier reply. Anyhow just before I had to go away I actually saw my playlists in sonos!
So many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - I sent a report and number on an earlier reply. Anyhow just before I had to go away I actually saw my playlists in sonos!
So many thanks.

It's good to hear the playlists have returned. I looked up your report and it had some formatting errors, making it a bit hard to read. If you have any further issues, though, send along a new report and I'll check it out.
Userlevel 2
I can see my imported playlists (itunes), but the individual tracks won't play. I have no problem playing the same tracks from the Library without any issues. Does anyone know of a potential fix for this??
I can see my imported playlists (itunes), but the individual tracks won't play. I have no problem playing the same tracks from the Library without any issues. Does anyone know of a potential fix for this??
Consolidating your iTunes library by moving the music files into the parent iTunes folder might help.

Badge +3
Yes, I also tried that it becomes a bit of a mess especially if you use a NAS as the Itunes library still points to the old location.
Userlevel 2
Consolidating your iTunes library by moving the music files into the parent iTunes folder might help.

After consolidating, still no luck unfortunately. Any other thoughts??
ANOTHER MESS HERE. AMAZES ME HOW THE NEW GENERATION OF SONOS WORKS OFF AIRPLAY BUT THE REST OF US WHO INVESTED HEAVILY WITH SONOS ARE STUCK WITH ISSUE THEY HAVEN'T BOTHERED RESOLVING.

" HEY PEOPLE!!!! JUST BUY ANOTHER NEW PRODUCT AND YOU CAN GANG YOUR OLD PRODUCTS AND PLAY DIRECTLY OFF AIRPLAY"

WHY DON'T YOU TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX THE ACTUAL ISSUE INSTEAD OF BRUSHING IT UNDER THE CARPET?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!