Answered

Issues with new Wi-Fi router

• 15 January 2022
  • 4 replies

HI al,

First time poster, I have reviewed similar posts but couldn’t see a clear answer.

I’ve recently changed our Wi-Fi provider/network but can’t connect my Beam to the new network.

On the Sonos S2 app everything is now greyed out, despite being logged in. There’s no prompt to help me change to the new network, which the official Sonos page says will appear.

I’ve been going round in circles looking at the guidance on the Sonos site which isn’t helping.

The Sonos is wall mounted so I can’t easily connect cables which I’ve seen mentioned as a solution (seems rubbish in any case to have to connect ethernet cables just to connect to a new Wi-Fi network?!)

Have to say it’s really frustrating - the most expensive/sophisticated device in the house is the only one connecting to a new Wi-Fi network has been problematic for.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Alex 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 15 January 2022, 11:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The easiest approach is to set the SSID (Wi-Fi name) and password on your new router to the same as the old router.  You can easily do this via the settings page for the router.

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the Beam from power for a couple of minutes, plugging it back in, and then restarting the app? You can also try using the same SSID and password on your new router as your previous one. If this doesn’t help, you might also try going to Support > Find Missing Products in the Sonos app.

Hi both,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have tried shutting the Beam down and the missing product link on the app - it seems to then take you to a page saying make sure Sonos is on the same network as the app, I know it isn’t!

I could change the router name/password but that would mean re-connecting every other device in the house which I’ve already done once in the past few weeks.

Is there any reason why such a simple feature is apparently so complicated with Sonos? 

Thanks

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It should not be so complicated, but the fact there’s no input device for Sonos to tell the system the new wifi credentials once you’ve broken the old wifi connection puts Sonos at a disadvantage.

I would expect all your other devices to still remember your old wifi credentials though. You could also try cable connecting the Beam for the time it takes to tell it your new wifi credentials.