Issues with Drop-Outs over Mesh or SonosNet

• 15 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I set up my numerous Sonos products in our new house after installing a new Linksys mesh WiFi system, which provides awesome coverage and speed everywhere. Music drops-out and drops-in frequently when the rooms are paired. It’s infuriating. 

I bought a Sonos Boost and set up SonosNet. I had the same issues despite Sonos speakers in nearly every room, which should have been more than enough for Sonos to set up its own strong mesh network. This also is not a great solution. I have a Sonos Move which I specifically bought to play out on the patio and to be in sync with the indoor music. Sonos Move doesn’t work on SonosNet, which makes it not that much better outside than my $50 bluetooth speaker. Seeing as though SonosNet didn’t fix the problem, I’m back to WiFi with the same issues.

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I’m a few thousand bucks into a Sonos system and over a thousand bucks for strong reliable wifi everywhere, and I’m pulling my hair out because trying to listen to more than one ‘room’ at a time is infuriating. Thanks for any help you’re able to provide!

WiFi: Linksys Atlas Max 6E Tri-Band Mesh WiFi, 3 hardwired (ethernet-connected) nodes for strong and fast wireless throughout the house

Sonos Products: (5) Play:1, (1) One (1) Playbase, (1) Play:5, (1) Move

6 replies

Hi.  Does the Linksys system act as the router, or do you still have an ISP router involved?

When you used the Boost, what did you connect it to?

Which 2.4GHz channel(s) is the Linksys using? 

Thanks for the reply, John. The Linksys system acts as the router.

My ISP is Xfinity and I use an ARRIS Surfboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem which is plugged into the primary node of my Linksys mesh system. The Atlas nodes have multiple ethernet ports for connections: the other two nodes are wired directly to this primary node and I have an unmanaged switch (Linksys WRT 8-port gigabit switch) also connected to this primary node. When I used the Boost, I wired it to the switch. 

The Linksys system broadcasts in 2.GHz, 5 GHz, and 6GHz. I can’t figure out in Linksys Smart Wi-Fi how to tell which channels it is using. I’ll see what I can figure out. I recall setting up my Sonos products using SonosNet years ago with an old Linksys mesh network that I did need to get deeper into setting to select/deselect specific channels, but is this necessary when setting up over WiFi and not SonosNet? 

Thanks again.

I think your best bet is still SonosNet, despite the complication of the Move.  (For the avoidance of doubt, the Move can still be part of the same Sonos system, even though it cannot connect to SonosNet.)  I would suggest giving it another try.  A few tips:

1. Make sure that the Boost is at least a metre (if possible) from any of the Linksys nodes.
  2. Experimentally, remove the Linksys wireless credentials from the Sonos system.  This will clearly temporarily disable the Move, but this is just an experiment.
  3. Try all three options for the SonosNet channel (1, 6, 11)  - unless the first one you try works perfectly, of course!

You might try wiring the Boost directly to the primary node rather than the switch, although a dumb unmanaged switch is very unlikely to be an issue.

Do your three bands have different SSIDs and passwords?  If they don’t, could they?

Hi John, thanks again for troubleshooting this with me. I am fairly certain I’ve figured out the issue: Amazon Music. After trying everything out yesterday I finally thought to try the source. I am currently back using WiFi and It seems I have zero issues when I use Pandora but whenever I play Amazon Music (we subscribe to the HD version) across multiple rooms, the music seems to cut out/in. I looked it up, and unfortunately this seems to be a still-unresolved issue: cutting in and out - but only on Amazon UNLESS I ask Alexa to play the same thing! Since the WiFi seems to be working fine (allowing me to return the Boost and use my Move more easily), it seems the course of action is to avoid starting Amazon Music from the Sonos app or maybe to unsubscribe altogether if it’s not going to work as designed. Very weird, but at least my speakers aren’t cutting out all the time now!

It's good you have identified the likely cause. Are you playing Amazon Music using the Sonos app, the AM app or voice control?

Edit - sorry, you already stated that playing through the Sonos app was the issue.

I don't seem to be having problems but clearly many are. 

Hi John,

The issue definitely seems worse when I play Amazon Music through the Sonos app, but I still have issues when I ask one of my Amazon Echo devices to play music - although starting the music in this way seems to be more reliable. 

Glad to hear you aren’t having any issues with Amazon Music and Sonos. Do you have regular Amazon Music or Amazon Music HD? I have HD and I’m wondering if the files are simply too large. That said, at this point I think I’m most likely to cut it and save myself the $15 or whatever it is per month.