Answered

Issues upgrading to S2 Controller

• 16 August 2022
  • 4 replies

simply trying to upgrade to the S2 controller and it keeps giving me the screen “Sonos Found on My WiFi Network” with the options of opening the S1 Controller or More Options. Their is no button on the more options tab to Forget my existing network so i end up in a loop with the new app directing me to the existing S1 App. All existing devices on the existing network are S2 compliant. Funny this is it has a button on the options to downgrade products to S1 but nothing to upgrade to S2

Do i need to uninstall the S1 APP and start fresh? Sonos should make this a simpler upgrade for sure as some even say you can have a S1 and S2 network co-exist but i don't know how that would work when the new controller always looks and points to the existing S1.

Just need some ideas how i can deactivate or upgrade the S1 to the S2 or should I just kill the S1 and start fresh.

Although I'm not a tech nerd I am very analytical and can figure things out pretty good. For a company whos mission is to make home sound easier, this upgrade is sure a pain in the azz.

Frustrated Patrick

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 August 2022, 10:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @protary 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You’ll find the most info about this process on our Sonos S2 Overview help page, but here’s the steps needed to update to S2 (from the S1 app):

You can update to S2 by navigating to  Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check. All of your settings and preferences will carry over automatically. If you’re already using the S2 app, but your S2 compatible products show up as “Incompatible,” go to  Settings > System > System Updates > Check for Updates to update them to the S2 firmware.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, that did help. Must take some time for the setting so update. I went onto my S1 App today and it now had a button to open the S2 App. Have my Move connected as well as my Playbar and Sub for my surround but having some difficulty adding my 2 One SL surrounds.  Do i need to physically plug them into my router as they were connected to my Wifi under the S1 App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @protary 

Do i need to physically plug them into my router as they were connected to my Wifi under the S1 App.

No that shouldn’t be needed. The surrounds actually connect directly to your Playbar rather than to the router’s WiFi, so the best thing to try is just reboot of all three - turn them all off, turn on the Playbar and wait for a solid white light before turning on the surrounds. Wait for solid lights on those before checking the app.

I hope this helps.

I think it may be worth pointing out that you refer several times to upgrading the app from S1 to S2. In fact the apps are just remote controls for the Sonos system.

What you are really doing is using the S1 controller (the only one that can talk to an S1 system) to instruct the system to upgrade to S2. At that point you need the S2 controller as it is the only one that can connect to an S2 system.

It is all pretty logical. I think your difficulties arose from thinking only in terms of the apps.

You also talk about the 'existing network'. This has nothing to do with networks. S1 and S2 are Sonos systems and can co-exist on a single network.