Question

is trueplay loudness setting dependent?

• 16 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So if I were not going to use the loudness setting, would you trueplay with loudness turned off? Or does loudness on/off make no difference to trueplay?

i think it would make a difference as loudness would affect the test tones no? 

thanks. 

3 replies

So if I were not going to use the loudness setting, would you trueplay with loudness turned off? Or does loudness on/off make no difference to trueplay?

i think it would make a difference as loudness would affect the test tones no? 

thanks. 

I think not, it doesn’t affect the test tones.  Any more than if you whacked bass up to max and treble down to min.  i think that’s true anyway, and i would expect it to be perfectly achievable in the software.  All aspects of EQ, including loudness, are then a matter of personal taste that are layered over the Trueplay result.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

If the Loudness setting, or the treble or bass controls, were to affect the TruePlay calibration, that would be a pretty novice engineering error!  I believe it’s safe to assume that the test tones are transmitted without any equalization.  (But since you’re going to use your system with Loudness turned off, why not TruePlay it the same way, in any case?  No point in courting “unforced errors.”  Fun question though -- just think about all the possibilities: If the calibration could read in your settings, it could “game” what the user “wants from their speaker”, and tilt the calibration to satisfy your whims -- call it A.I., or Neuro Fuzzy Logic...!-)

EQ settings -- including Loudness -- are returned to default during Trueplay tuning. If a speaker defaults to Loudness ON then that’s what will show following Trueplay. 

As noted, none of this affects the derivation of the tuning profile.