Answered

is there a way to connect a friend's android phone to my sonos system to play music without download the sonos app?

• 2 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge
Sometimes, my friends come to my home and they want to play their songs from their phone, and do not want to download the sonos app, they just want a quick way to connect to the spearkers.

I know that if my friends have iphone, then they can just use airplay to connect to my speakers very quick with no problem. However, sometimes the android users want to connect their phone to the speakers, but we cannot find a way to do it. I want to know is there a way to connect a friend's android phone to my sonos system to play music without download the sonos app?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 2 January 2019, 05:11

Hi JJENG

The only way to play music stored on an Android or any non-airplay compatible device without the Sonos App is via Bluetooth (BT). To utilize BT you'd need a Sonos device with line-in (Play 5, Connect, Connect Amp or Sonos Amp) to which you would connect a BT Transceiver.

Cheers!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi JJENG

The only way to play music stored on an Android or any non-airplay compatible device without the Sonos App is via Bluetooth (BT). To utilize BT you'd need a Sonos device with line-in (Play 5, Connect, Connect Amp or Sonos Amp) to which you would connect a BT Transceiver.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I confess I don't understand why they wouldn't just download the app and connect to your system. By far the most logical thing to do.
I confess I don't understand why they wouldn't just download the app and connect to your system. By far the most logical thing to do.My thoughts exactly. Takes next to no time, and is a one off. (OK they will need updates at times.)
I assume they could use Spotify Connect if they have Spotify.
In all cases you will have to let them have access to your wireless LAN, which of course is your security decision.
Badge
I confess I don't understand why they wouldn't just download the app and connect to your system. By far the most logical thing to do.My thoughts exactly. Takes next to no time, and is a one off. (OK they will need updates at times.)
In all cases you will have to let them have access to your wireless LAN, which of course is your security decision.

thank you for your reply. I think most people do not want to download the app because the app is useless for them as they do not own sonos system at home. Even myself want a quick access if I visit my friend's home and want to share my songs with them. And I am not sure if they do need to register an account after download the sonos app, if they do then make things more complicated. Thats why I want to know if there is a way for android phone to share the songs easier. I guess now I just tell my friend to buy an iphone, hahah.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Your friends won't need to create a Sonos account to download the app and access your system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

thank you for your reply. I think most people do not want to download the app because the app is useless for them as they do not own sonos system at home. Even myself want a quick access if I visit my friend's home and want to share my songs with them. And I am not sure if they do need to register an account after download the sonos app, if they do then make things more complicated. Thats why I want to know if there is a way for android phone to share the songs easier. I guess now I just tell my friend to buy an iphone, hahah.

Unless they have an Android or Apple phone with an older Operating System then they do NOT need to create an account. Just download the app and open. Select connect to an existing system and they are good to go. And if you go to your friends house just repeat the process. (As mentioned you need to have access to the Wi-Fi at our friend's house)
Badge
as you guys suggested, I purchased a sonos connect today, and I also got a google chromecast audio, I connect the chromecast audio to the sonos connect by using the including cable to the audio in ports at the back of the sonos connect, but when I try playing something from my android phone after I connect my phone to the chromecast audio, nothing coming out from my sonos soundbar or sonos one speakers. any suggestion?

btw, I connect my samsung phone to the chromecast audio by using the Google Home app.
Did I do something wrong? what should I do to make my sonos speakers play music from the chromecast audio. Thank you.