Is there a limit to how many tunes you can have in your Sonos library ?

• 5 September 2018
  • 12 replies

Having spent an age ripping the rest of my discs to my harddrive I now find that when I update the library it only gets part way through the alphabet before stopping. It varies each time but typically all artists upto about M are displayed and the rest are not listed.
Do any of you know what is going on ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The local library has a hard limit of 65,000 tracks. If your tags and/or pathnames are large, it will cause the track to take up another index, thus lowering the maximum from 65,000.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Any chance your drive or the system it is in are going into sleep mode?

What Sonos devices do you have, some of the older gear is a bit limited and will try to move the indexing process to newer gear.

You could always try the index again and when it fails submit a diagnostic within a few minutes and post the ID number here.
my music folder currently contains the following;

23,490 Files where a file is a music track
12,901 Folders where a folder is the artist name, and sub folders for disc name

So for example
Folder Pink Floyd
Sub-Folder Dark Side of the Moon
Files Speak to Me
Breathe
On the Run

etc etc

Is this over elaborate and causing me to run out of room.... I'm going to be a very grumpy bunny if I can't back up my collection !
Just tried again... it got as far as 'T' this time.
My PC and monitor have both been set to never turn off so I'm very confused !
The limit can be reached sooner if your tags and/or path names are over the Sonos limits, since past the character limit, Sonos will use another index slot to store the overflow. The solution is to use a tag editor to trim the tags or path. MP3Tag will do this for all your files in batch mode.

Tag and path character limits:

Max characters for Artist/Composer name: 76
Max characters for Album name: 92
Max characters for Track name: 100
Max characters for Genre name: 22
Max characters for a path and file name: 100
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just tried again... it got as far as 'T' this time.
My PC and monitor have both been set to never turn off so I'm very confused !

Hi there,

Please submit a diagnostic report after trying to index your library. If you reply with the confirmation number I can take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sounds like my setup, best submit that diagnostic and get the Sonos staff looking at your issue. Don't forget to post the number here or call it in or you won't get a response.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The limit can be reached sooner if your tags and/or path names are over the Sonos limits, since past the character limit, Sonos will use another index slot to store the overflow. The solution is to use a tag editor to trim the tags or path. MP3Tag will do this for all your files in batch mode.

Tag and path character limits:

Max characters for Artist/Composer name: 76
Max characters for Album name: 92
Max characters for Track name: 100
Max characters for Genre name: 22
Max characters for a path and file name: 100

THIS IS USEFUL INFO - thanks.
I've got 33K files on NAS. All the tags are within those limits above.
Yet every Genre in my Sonos library is missing files , hundreds of them missing. I've compared by loading GENRES into QUEUE Genre by Genre to cross check with the Media Monkey library that I use to manage the files.
I've rebuilt the Sonos index (completely by removing the shared folder and starting again)..
But still missing 1000's .
Any suggestions ?
Sullydks,

I would find an example album where the 'genre' and 'other' tag fields are working okay and then select an album where the 'genre' tag isn’t working and load them into a decent tag editor, such as mp3Tag and compare the fields across each album. Then use mp3Tag to correct any issues, as necessary, including removing any hidden spaces, perhaps.

Then try re-indexing and see if the tracks work.

Don’t forget to check the 'other' tag fields too whilst they are in the editor.

Once you become familiar with mp3Tag software, you will find you can automate most corrections with scripts and that can save many hours/days of work. I have a 25K+ Music library and my tracks are all loading fine in the Sonos App now at v10.0. I’m not currently having any issue with 'genre' tags at all, so suspect in your case, it will still be a local library issue that you are perhaps yet to ascertain.

It’s quite hard to help pinpoint things for you though, without really examining your library close up. Sonos Support Staff can sometimes assist in some instances with a diagnostic submission, but obviously they cannot check every tag error you may have. Comparing displays to what you see in mediamonkey is not likely to benefit you in this instance as there maybe other underlying issues with the audio tags that are preventing the tracks being indexed by the Sonos software.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks ,, I've been using Media Monkey for years and I find that it is a decent tag editor and the best catalogue/music management tool I've found out there. Although I've not looked in a while. Had no reason to.
I am very unlikely to move but is there some reason why you think it isn't fit for purpose ?
Your statement implying that its "not decent".
As far as I can see all the tracks are tagged correctly. All Tags list fine in Media Monkey, they list correctly in Windows Files Explorer, they are fine for the MP3 versions when I use MM to sync to as ipod (I only make FLAC available to SONOS) ,
But I will check out as you advise.
You can also check to see if the missing tracks are listed in the Folders view in the Sonos app. If they are in the Folders view and not in other views, there is a tagging problem.
Sullydks,

I wasn’t criticising the Media Monkey software in the way you perhaps thought, I was merely inferring it’s rules for display maybe different to the Sonos App and what displays in that software may still not be suitable for Sonos. In the mp3Tag software you can set tag field filters to see what will and will not be displayed with the known rules.

Like I said earlier, it’s difficult for anyone else to pass comment on your audio tags, as we don’t have access to view the complete data. You will need to work through the albums and tracks till they display. Fortunately mp3Tag can automate a good many things with scripts to cut down on the hours, or even days, that these things used to take with fairly large libraries.

However because my library genre fields currently appear to be working okay, I suspect this will transpire to be a tagging issue within your own local library, rather that it being related to say a 'bug' in the Sonos App, although I’m sure we all accept it has some limitations.

Hope that clears up the ambiguity.