iPhone volume loud when using AirPlay 2

• 5 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello everybody,

every time I connect my iPhone to a Sonos speaker via AirPlay 2 and alter the volume in the Control Center the iPhone volume goes crazy loud. If I check the volume level in iOS preferences everything is fine. I have to move a bit the volume slider in the preferences to "reset" the iPhone volume to the shown level. Apparently there's no problem if I alter the volue in the notification center of lockscreen. Any suggestions to solve this issue?

I'm using an iPhone XS Max running iOS 14.2. I own two Sonos One (Gen2), Beam, play:5 (Gen 1) and a Boost. Everything is updated to the latest firmware version.

Thanks in advance for any kind answer.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Andy85,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. This is unusual that the volume went loud when streaming via AirPlay 2. Allow me to ask some questions to check on the issue.

• When did the issue start happening?
  • Do you experience the same if you steam on the Sonos app?
  • Have you tried rebooting your Sonos speaker where you stream AirPlay 2?
  • Have you tried other iOS devices to check?

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi @Rowena B.

thanks for your answer. First I would love to make clear that it’s my iPhone volume going crazy loud (like notifications, OS sounds and so on) and not the music streamed to the Sonos speakers.

• The issue started about one year ago.
  • No issues if I stream the music from the Sonos app.
  • I already rebooted the speakers.
  • No issues if I stream the music from my iPad Pro with the latest iOS.

Thanks for any further help to solve this problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Andy85,

Thanks for your response and for letting us know that it’s the volume on your iPhone is acting up. I appreciate you for clarifying that there are no issues streaming with your Sonos system. I would recommend reaching out to Apple support to further assist you with this. If you need to ask anything or need more information, please feel free to reach back to us, we're here to help you out.

Hi Andy

did you get anywhere with Apple Support at all? I have the same issue and as I enjoy listening to podcasts from Apple and through my Sonos system but when I get a text, I leap out of skin! Lol

I am possibly being a but lazy is asking you but thought you may the answer.

:-)

Thank you