Question

IOS app telling me to update


I just bought the Playbar but when I got the ios app it keeps telling me to update the app when I try to set up the speaker. I just downloaded the app so I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

23 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
It's trying to update the Playbar. You may well need to plug it into the router with an Ethernet cable
Temporarily. In order to get the update done, you may need to plug it in with an ethernet cable. Once it's all set up, you'll be able to remove the cable.
I've got the same problem trying to set up a couple of Ones. Can't get past the loggin in bit. It says Update App but there is nothing in App Store to update to. Very frustrating!!
Try not looking in the app store, but in the app itself. Can't open my app at this moment, but my memory suggests that it's under Settings>Advanced Settings>Online Updates. Try that, and running it from there. That should update the app itself, as well as the firmware on the speakers.

But if that fails, and you're still trying to update the app, go ahead and delete it from your device. Then go to the app store and download a fresh copy. Then just "connect to an existing system". Since all of your playlists are stored on the speakers, you should be fine.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hey guys, 8.2 is currently launching right now, but it's not available in all app stores just yet. Each store has to go through an approval process before an app is "live". The Apple store is still pending, but other devices should be fine. It shouldn't be too much longer, but you can use another device to update the PLAYBAR if you have one.
Hi Ryan,

When you say launching “right now” are we talking hours/days/weeks? Just bought a Sonos 5.1 system today. All connected but currently unusable because of going round in circles with the App saying update/App Store saying up-to-date. Needs fixing ASAP
I love the fact that my sonos i pretty much a brick because your versions aren’t in sync
I have 2 play 1s and one was not connected. As I’m trying to add the player, it’s not allowing it because the app is not updated just like Colin states above. Ideas?
I bought a sonos one today. I cant get it to work - "a sonos update has been released but is not yet available in your app store"
Hi - same here, came home all excited to setup Play One - and nothing I can do - I thought Sonos was supposed to be easy to setup - this is my first experience with it - as a squeezebox user switching to Sonos I'm wondering if I have made the wrong decision.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
espenaann wrote:

colindj wrote:

Hi Ryan,

When you say launching “right now” are we talking hours/days/weeks? Just bought a Sonos 5.1 system today. All connected but currently unusable because of going round in circles with the App saying update/App Store saying up-to-date. Needs fixing ASAP


I love the fact that my sonos i pretty much a brick because your versions aren’t in sync



From past experience with other launches, it usually would have been live over an hour ago. So I'd say anytime now. However, I don't currently have a set timeline for this specific one (I'm not sure why it's still pending). I wouldn't expect it to take long.

The team is on it.
This is insane. Trying to set up a new system and, like the rest of you, it says app needs updating but there is no updated app. App store opens, shows my Sonos app up to date and says open. I open and back into the loop I go.
Radio Hannibal wrote:

This is insane. Trying to set up a new system and, like the rest of you, it says app needs updating but there is no updated app. App store opens, shows my Sonos app up to date and says open. I open and back into the loop I go.



As explained above by Ryan S from Sonos, the app is pending in the app store. Give it a little time. Have a cup of tea, a beer, a walk, or whatever else you can do to improve the day or waste some time, and try back later.
Same here, just spent 2.5k on a completely new setup. Never used Sonos before and took a risk ordering so much, so far my introduction to the eco system is rather poor. Frustrated...
Take a break, grab some food, and relax. When you're done, come back and try again. Everyone is currently waiting on Apple to pull the switch.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
matt631 wrote:

Same here, just spent 2.5k on a completely new setup. Never used Sonos before and took a risk ordering so much, so far my introduction to the eco system is rather poor. Frustrated...


I hear you matt, it's definitely a rough first experience and I can say based on a lot of time spent with Sonos this isn't a normal thing. Usually, updates are painless and an app rarely hangs in limbo like this. We're working with Apple to sort out what's going on. Apologies for the trouble, but give it a little time and you should be all set to enjoy!
matt631 wrote:

Same here, just spent 2.5k on a completely new setup. Never used Sonos before and took a risk ordering so much, so far my introduction to the eco system is rather poor. Frustrated...



You hit a perfect storm. And hour or so before or after this point in time, and you would not have known the difference. Unlucky for you, but not any fault of Sonos' that the App Store didn't post the app in a timely manner.
I'm thinking a bit of Apple sabotage as they ready HomePod.
Laugh. Interesting thought :)
Bahahaa, I guess I'm part of the Sonos limbo group as well who just got a new product today and who can't update. The Playbar is just there, looking at me, desperately waiting to blast something at max volume. Can't wait.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
alexmtt wrote:

Bahahaa, I guess I'm part of the Sonos limbo group as well who just got a new product today and who can't update. The Playbar is just there, looking at me, desperately waiting to blast something at max volume. Can't wait.


If you have a computer in the house you could probably install the Sonos controller on that and finish setting up the PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You guys should be all set now to update on iOS too. For notes on the release, take a look here.
Thanks Ryan. I love my Sonos and freaked out when I couldn’t get it to work. For those new to it, you will enjoy it for sure and this is the first issue I’ve had in 3 years

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)