Question

Internet Channels for 2.4G networks

• 5 December 2019
  • 14 replies

Badge +1

I have a Beam hooked to the router via ethernet cable and two play1s in surround sound. Works great with the TV. I have an NAS hooked up and was playing music just fine through the TV room Speakers. I just added to Sonos SLs to the nearby living room (15 feet away from the Beam) and the music I’m playing now keeps kicking out unless it is a single musical instrument with less data. I’m wondering if the mesh network created by the hardwired Beam needs a different channel than my other devices using the 2.4G signal. My router is dual (2.4 and 5 G). But I have them separated so they will not kick out. Do I need one channel for the Sonos mesh and one for other devices? Do I need a Boost? Frustrated new user.

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi Eranos

In the Sonos App under settings change the channel to 1, 6, or 11 (i.e. the opposite of what is now). Click the link on how to: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US

Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What format music are you playing from the NAS?

Is your Audio Compression set to Auto?  Under Settings / System.

Badge +1

Thanks for the input. I have ripped CDs in FLAC on a Brennan B2. I’m using the B2 like an NAS following instructions from that website. Compression is set to Auto.

Badge +1

I also installed a new dongle with antenna. The internet signal is stronger on the Brennan B2, so I will try it today. If it still kicks out, I will move closer to the router. Question: If I have my Beam hooked up via ethernet, should I still consider a Boost to enhance the signal throughout the house? Someone told me that if you have one device hooked up, it creates the Sonos mesh network. Question: Does the Sonos mesh use a different channel than my other devices on the same 2.4 connection?

If you have the Beam connected to your router with an Ethernet cable, it is doing the same thing that a BOOST does. 

You define what channel SonosNet is using in the controller app. It has three choices, channel 1, 6, or 11. You should choose the one that is furthest from the channel your router is using. 

Badge +1

Thanks  Bruce Very useful

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

FLAC needs to move a lot of data and than needs a strong mesh.

Have you looked at your NetworkMartix to see if it is showing you any wireless issues?

Don’t go too close with your wireless devices, a Meter spacing is usually safe.

Badge +1

Stanley, Not sure what a Network Martix is. sorry for the lack of knowledge. I’m showing a strong signal to my Brennan B2 which holds the files. I don’t have trouble with streaming services cutting out coming from my Sonos App, only problems with reading and playing files from the Brennan as NAS. I have my Beam and TV right next to each other (using as a sound bar), but the other wireless devices have at least a meter of separation.

One of my Play 1 speakers curiously shows up (in the cox system app as not connected to the internet, but it still works in a pair with the other play 1 as surrounds. It does show the Play 1 as part of the network on windows explorer, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Network Matrix:  172.16.1.111:1400/support/review

(replace my Sonos’s IP with one of yours, keep the :1400)

You could submit a diagnostic too, contact Sonos support directly to have it looked at. The contact page here has 24x7 options.

Badge +1

Thanks I will try it.

Badge +1

Stanley, as a novice I’m still not sure where to access the Network Matrix:  IP address: 1400/support/review. Do you do it through the sonos website?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

In the address bar of your web browser, it is a web page created by your Sonos device. Try copy/pasting the line below to there, then edit the 172.16.1.111 part to change it to your Sonos’ IP address.

http://172.16.1.111:1400/support/review

Badge +1

Stanley, Thanks, I did it with your guidance but how do I now find out what it means? All devices show up on the matrix. Do I share with Sonos Support team? Thanks Paul (Eranos)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Post a screenshot of the whole matrix, big enough for us to read and you’ll get some feedback from other users. To get Sonos feedback sending them a diagnostic and contacting them directly with the number is probably best.

If you search the forums for network matrix you’ll find comments that may be helpful from other folk’s posts.