Interference from wireless router...

• 19 February 2012
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

I'm purchasing my sonos devices tomorrow and was wondering about placement in conjunction with my airport extreme.

My plan was to either buy the bridge or hookup a s3 or s5 directly to my airport extreme base station.
Placement though is an issue in my office. I have the airport extreme, next to that my NAS then I would have the SONOS unit. they would be about 30cm/12 inches maximum apart

Now I've had trouble with my wireless network and extend that with an airport express. Since my Sonos system should reach even farther I'm a little worried. I understand that it is more stable and probably needs less throughput but do these two wireless "networks" bother each other in any meaningful way?

Does it make a difference if it's a bridge or speaker at the network hookup?

The airport extreme broadcasts both on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz range. Only the 2.4 is extended.

Thanks for your experiences,

Philly

5 replies

I would be inclined to separate the Airport and the wired Sonos device (the Bridge or the Play:*) by a bit more than 30cms if you can. Spacing them vertically is not a bad idea too.

To keep the Sonos and WiFi 2.4GHz channels apart, set your WiFi to a different channel to Sonos. Restrict your choice to 1, 6 or 11 and don't use any options for '40MHz'/'wide'/'turbo'/'up to 300Mbps' operation if available.
phillyman,

Standard WiFi advice is to keep the units separated by several feet, but this is not practical in most real situations.

The SONOS units are very docile. In my kitchen I have two wireless routers, almost touching and a SONOS ZP100 (the original ZonePlayer) about 20" from the pair of routers and a SONOS CR100 and a microwave oven one shelf down in the same set of shelves. While this violates most of the rules that I've seen, there are no issues here. I am aware of a number of SONOS systems that are a haphazard stack of router and ZonePlayers and they work well. I'm not saying that this will result in maximum range or throughput, but there are no day to day annoyances.

You should make sure that SONOS and the router use different RF channels and restrict your channel choices in all cases to 1, 6, or 11. Disable the "wide" or "40MHz" channels on the router. In the case of SONOS, if you have a SONOS dead area, add a wired or wireless BRIDGE about half way between a working SONOS unit and the problem area.

---

Oh, I see that ratty can type faster than I can. I'll agree that the Airport Extremes should have a little more space than other routers that I have used. If the Extremes have enough space, they are potent in terms of range, but they are a little more fussy than some routers.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the replies.... I could put the sonos on the floor and as such gain some distance.

I guess it's the easiest to just try it out! Now in general IF the sonos can make a connection to its network does that mean it will have sufficient bandwidth to play the audio or does it suffer from weak signal and as such distorted audio etc.?

Thanks for the tips,

Philly
Poor signal and/or interference manifests as reduced wireless bandwidth. This could cause audio dropouts, not distortion (it's digital).

See how you get on. If you should encounter problems which can't be resolved by switching channels or repositioning devices then the system diagnostics will paint a comprehensive picture of what's going on. You can get the system to submit a diagnostic to Sonos then contact the support guys for interpretation.
Userlevel 2
My "fears" are dealt with... At least I can get a log and go from there...

Look forward to my new toys tomorrow, again thanks for the great, friendly and fast replies.

It just confirms my choice in Sonos and their helpful elves (volunteers), who are so convinced of their product that they are willing to help the company.

Cheers,
Philly

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings