Improve the sound from you Sonos Connect

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies
My system comprises of Sonos Connect, Rega DAC R, Sugden A21SE Amplifier and Neat Iota Alpha Speakers, I changed over the mains cable to the Sonos Connect for an MCRU No. 27 mains cable, as fitted to my other equipment. The overall Improvement to the sound quality is very noticeable with increased dynamics and transparency of sound. Also on another matter, following recent upgrades to the Sonos OS, I lost the facility for using the variable sound output. As my amplifier's line input is a very sensitive at 110m and the line output of the Rega Dac is around 2.15V the volume control on my amplifier rarely exceeds the 9 0'Clock position. In order to balance the system out I installed a pair of Rothwell 10dB attenuators between the DAC and the Amplifier. This has increased the sensitivity of the volume control up to just beyond the 12 O'Clock mark without losing any detectable definition. Just to finish off, I am still purchasing new CD's and burning same to the Apple lossless format with iTunes. The Sonos app then catalogues then catalogues the iTunes folder. All of this works very well together.

3 replies

Davnos wrote:

I changed over the mains cable to the Sonos Connect for an MCRU No. 27 mains cable, as fitted to my other equipment. The overall Improvement to the sound quality is very noticeable with increased dynamics and transparency of sound.

Did you also rewire your house? And replace the incoming supply cable all the way back to your local electrical substation? I fear that unless you do so the 'improvement' which you've convinced yourself a £100 1-metre kettle lead confers could prove to be rather transitory. Recommended reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Also on another matter, following recent upgrades to the Sonos OS, I lost the facility for using the variable sound output.

I can't imagine why. Is the Line-out Level actually set to 'Variable'?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As someone that uses a big passive heat sink on his ZP-80s to keep them running 3 degrees Fahrenheit cooler I'd best not comment.
Using heat sinks may be extreme, but isn't quite in the same league of "error". Temperature reduction will result in longer life for sure, though to an unquantifiable extent and therefore may or may not be worth the effort. But the life extension will be real and not psychological in the manner that ratty suggests.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings