Answered

I want to "Set up a new Sonos system" but I am not given the option.

• 26 October 2018
  • 37 replies

My first option is "Connect to existing system" which I do not have. Second option is "Learn how to set up a new system." When I click on that it just brings to this site which tells me to select "Set up a new Sonos system". I am not given the option.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 26 October 2018, 13:14

If you're trying to set up your Sonos system using the Windows or Mac controller software, you'll unfortunately need to use an iOS or Android device with the Sonos app from the App Store or Google Play. A recent update to the Sonos desktop controller no longer allows using it to set up a new Sonos system or manage many settings of the system.

Please reply if this is the case... we need to show Sonos that people do use the desktop controller to set up a new system, and it's affecting their ability to use and enjoy the Sonos gear they spend good money on.
View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you're trying to set up your Sonos system using the Windows or Mac controller software, you'll unfortunately need to use an iOS or Android device with the Sonos app from the App Store or Google Play. A recent update to the Sonos desktop controller no longer allows using it to set up a new Sonos system or manage many settings of the system.

Please reply if this is the case... we need to show Sonos that people do use the desktop controller to set up a new system, and it's affecting their ability to use and enjoy the Sonos gear they spend good money on.
I have this very same problem. I have just changed computers and I cannot use the new computer , and am having to merely use my phone as a controller. It is taking away a range of other users in my home, and has made my new computer redundant. Not happy
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
The new computer should still be able to act as a controller day to day? It can no longer add a new speaker or a couple of other more administrative things. Playing music, changing volume, sorting playlists etc is all still good.
I've followed the instructions and it will not link to my router and all of the writing is 'greyed' out and so I have a system that just works off my phone, unless I am doing something really stupid !?
I really hope this isn't true... I've got a whole house of Sonos equipment. I just bought a new PC and am trying to set-up the Sonos software... it asked me to connect with mobel device running the moble app before it would set-up. This is a problem!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
mrbyrne1970: If you are missing any options or settings, check for updates and verify that your operating system is still fully supported.
Yes, new Win10 machine... just downloaded the Sonos Win App. It won't connect to my existing Sonos system until I provide/connect the new PC to a moble device running the moble app. My other Win10 devices still work with my Sonos systems just fine. Sonos needs to provide a functional Win app.
...or we need a work around.
Thank you MikeV
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
My other Win10 devices still work with my Sonos systems just fine. Sonos needs to provide a functional Win app.

Make sure your NEW computer is using a private connection type and not public.
This is ridiculous, I have just purchased a new Sonos product for the first time and cannot set it up because I have slightly older apple iphone and ipad products using ios9. Even my windows pc on win10 does nor aloow this. What do I do send the sonos product back to the dealer? Whats wrong these days with backward compatability. Come on Sonos, whats the solution and don't say buy new products.
I too am furious about this. Someone in the household accidentally accepted an upgrade option and now our Sonos equipment which we PAID FOR is unuseable!!! Totally unacceptable. Sonos needs to do something about this immediately or buy back my equipment.
You paid for the hardware. You agreed to a license to use the software, including a proviso that it is subject to change. I'm afraid this makes your demand for compensation unlikely to be fulfilled.
I've just bought two play : 5 and I cannot configure them. I'm not happy at all. I don't care about smartphones.. I have an old one that I rarely use and the sonos app is not available for it. I want to setup and use the devices from my laptop and desktop!... I would never ever expected that a modern system lock you to have a smartphone around.
Guess I'll have to return them back.

I knew it was better to get a traditional system.
Rage. I'm seriously enraged. Damn.
I've just bought two play : 5 and I cannot configure them. I'm not happy at all. I don't care about smartphones.. I have an old one that I rarely use and the sonos app is not available for it. I want to setup and use the devices from my laptop and desktop!... I would never ever expected that a modern system lock you to have a smartphone around.
Guess I'll have to return them back.

I knew it was better to get a traditional system.
Rage. I'm seriously enraged. Damn.
It is a shame that you won't be able to enjoy Sonos. A $/£50 Amazon Fire tablet makes an excellent dedicated Sonos controller.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Why are so many regulars here defending this stupid decision?
I don't see any defense of any position, just people trying to point out the reality of the situation, and offering options.
jgatie while all of what you say may be true I'm not sure I understand the point of your reply. the fact that I had to agree to some software license in order to use the products does not in any way mean that I am not justified in being furious that I now own a bunch of very expensive boat anchors. there is absolutely no purpose in cutting off customers that love your products and prefer to use desktops to control them. It is plain and simple just stupid and bad business. not only do you make them mad and feel like they are being ripped off you also absolutely guarantee that they will never buy any more of your products and will do everything they can to make sure no one they know does either.
and airgetlam.....when i read this "You agreed to a license to use the software, including a proviso that it is subject to change." it certainly sounds to me like saying you agreed to this so get over it. pretty much a defense of the position with no option being offered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Folks that have been around a while have come to learn that bitching about a Sonos change is ineffective. I can only recall one time it got any results and that was adding back in a night theme to the Android controller several years back. I'd say most of us have become resigned to this state of affairs and aside from a couple initial complaints about each poor Sonos decision, abandon all hope of things getting changed back.

With that, all we can do is recommend ways to try to work around the problems.

If it is your first rodeo feel free to complain all you want, make threats of dropping Sonos or calling your lawyer, whatever floats your boat. When you come to realize what the long-term folks have you too can change your priorities and do something more productive.
^^^What Stanley said.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I won't defend this change. I voiced my displeasure when it was released, and will continue to do so. I think it's a mistake, and while there's nothing more that I can do than voice my displeasure, I'll continue to do so, along with the many others that are doing so. I'll happily "like" posts from others also, and I recommend others do the same. Yes, it's true that Sonos rarely goes back on things it changes, but it's not impossible that they could do it. This is a change that also significantly affected them too.
I never really had any hope of things getting changed back. read enough to figure that was unlikely. but not bitching about it also doesn't offer any hope of anything changing down the line. the fact that folks on here would be "long-term" with a product that apparently makes frequent unwelcomed and/or poorly designed changes to its systems is surprising to me. voting with your feet would seem the only potentially effective strategy in a case like that. I will certainly not invest further in the system given your comments.
A functioning desktop app is urgently needed. We're in a travel situation where we have to use the Sonos on a hotspot which is provided by the mobile phone. Since we have disable wifi on the hotspot phone, we need a second device to run the Sonos controller. The only other device we travel with is a laptop. Every app change that renders expensive device a dysfunctional black box is a huge letdown.
A functioning desktop app is urgently needed. We're in a travel situation where we have to use the Sonos on a hotspot which is provided by the mobile phone. Since we have disable wifi on the hotspot phone, we need a second device to run the Sonos controller. The only other device we travel with is a laptop. Every app change that renders expensive device a dysfunctional black box is a huge letdown.

You can "run the Sonos controller". The only thing missing is some of the lesser used settings menus.