How to use the (discontinued) Dock for iPhone/iPod

Userlevel 1
I have had this Dock stored unused as I really didn't have a need for it years ago when I received it as a gift. Presently at home I am enjoying a setup with one PLAY:3 and a BRIDGE hooked on to my router.

Now, I want to use this Sonos Dock at my summer home where there is no wifi broadband internet connection. At my (Philippine) Summer house, I use a Huawei Pocket WiFi to get to the internet. I am not sure if the Sonos Dock and a PLAY:1 will be able to function and stream internet music or play my iPhone Playlist.
If needed I will also bring one Sonos BRIDGE to support the PLAY:1 and the Dock.

Can anybody please post a link that gives the full instructions on WHAT this Dock is good for and HOW to use it?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone.

Thanks.
Okgolti

10 replies

okgolti wrote:

Now, I want to use this Sonos Dock at my summer home where there is no wifi broadband internet connection. At my (Philippine) Summer house, I use a Huawei Pocket WiFi to get to the internet. I am not sure if the Sonos Dock and a PLAY:1 will be able to function and stream internet music or play my iPhone Playlist.

I have the dock, although it isn't used these days because I now have a reliable NAS.

It was obsoleted by Apple changing docks on their devices.

Power it up at home in a wifi environment, update it to your current Sonos software release, and set it to auto play with the play 1. Once you do that, you can take it anywhere with just the play 1. Power both on, insert a compatible i Device into the dock, and you don't need anything else. Anything the i Device can play, will be heard on the play 1 without the need for wifi or internet. You will have to use local control on the i device and dock/play 1 for source selection and volume control, remotes won't work.

The current i device models won't plug into the dock, but I think adapters are available to allow that.

Whenever I used it, it worked very well indeed. Still would, I think, I just haven't needed to take it out of storage. But it makes the play units truly portable, needing only mains power to work.
The DOCK works fine, and I still use mine with an iTouch 4th gen in order to stream BBC iPlayer content, what with the BBC's recent changes. It also works great as a SonosNet 2.0 relay and iPod charger.

To some extent the DOCK was obsoleted when Sonos introduced wireless playback from iDevices whereby you can stream locally stored tracks directly.
Not quite - the dock is still the only device that can enable Sonos units to work when there is nothing but mains power available. One reason to also hold on to the classic iPod 160 gb.
DOCK will not directly support the Apple Lightning connector.
Badge +4
Just seeing this post, been using the dock now for many years well from it came out and just recently like 2 months I have been having connect issues with it. Sad part is very soon like in a few weeks maybe even tomorrow 1 Oct when update software come out I will not be able to use the dock anymore, that is if I update the sonos software.
burg650 wrote:

Just seeing this post, been using the dock now for many years well from it came out and just recently like 2 months I have been having connect issues with it. Sad part is very soon like in a few weeks maybe even tomorrow 1 Oct when update software come out I will not be able to use the dock anymore, that is if I update the sonos software.

Perhaps transfer the tracks either to a PC, NAS box or the free Google Play servers and stream the music from those.

If you see the post above, Kumar, some 3 years ago now, chose to go down the NAS route for his own personal situation after Apple changed their connection port. I have gone down that route too.

Hope that helps πŸ‘
But even with a NAS, the Dock still serves two useful purposes, the first being the ability to use Sonos where there is no WiFi network, just mains power. And two, to use music downloaded for offline listening from a music service like Apple Music, without using internet streams for such subsequent use - either to obtain music play undisturbed by broadband service issues, or when broadband service and/or WiFi isn't available.
The only way out of this situation now created by Sonos with the Dock is to do what I have decided to do - opt out of any more Sonos updates.

In addition, people that have used the Dock find it very useful as a plug and play device for iDevices, including the latest ones, where all that is needed is an adapter for the 30 pin connector on the Dock.
I am really sad that sonos decided to kill sonos dock

I have 7 docks with 7 iPods with all kind of music ready to be played from..but sonos decided to kill dock that are not recognized anymore on my installation

I had no choice and I am very disappointed

Any solution ?
Still running 9.1 here, have seen nothing in the newer releases worth killing off the Dock for. It’s much more reliable than AirPlay for those apps that can’t otherwise connect to Sonos, and I use several of them. Apple 30-pin adapter to iPhone, works very well. When the Google Assistant is finally integrated, assuming it works as I hope it will, then I’ll kill off the Dock.
My issue is that I kept my installation below sonos 9.3 due to sonos decision to kill the dock comptability.

So I urge anyone to tell me I can downgrade below 9.3 on my docks and speakers

Please....🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻😒😒😒

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings