How to Setup Play One as a standalone on the same network (different SSID) where there is already a Sonos System

• 8 September 2022
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I have a Sonos Beam (Gen 2) and 2 x Play 1’s setup as a surround sound system in my TV room that works very well.

They all connect wirelessly to an Ubiquity Access Point that is hard-wired to a Router that is directly connected to the Internet.

I am trying to connect my new Sonos ONE (Gen2) as a standalone system in another part of the house wirelessly to another Ubiquity Access Point that is also hard-wired to the SAME Router. Both Access Points have different SSID’s as they are far apart and the one cannot “see” the other.

During the new setup process the Sonos S2 App immdiately picks up the new Sonos ONE and the installation went well up to the point where the App decides to connect the Sonos ONE wirelessly to the existing Sonos System’s SSID which will obviously not work as it is too far away.

PS: When I attempt to configure the new Sonos ONE my Smart Phone (Android Ver 12), I am wirelessly  connected to the SSID in the new part of the house where I want to use it as a standalone system, so I am not sure why the Sonos S2 App is trying to connect it to the existing System’s SSID in the other side of the house.

Your assistance and advise on the best practise how to achieve this will be highly appreciated.

2 replies

A few preliminary questions/observations:

Do you really want to set the One up as an entirely separate system (Sonos calls them ‘Households’) such that it can’t connect or group with the existing Beam setup? If you do, this could have implications with streaming music and voice assistant accounts, such as not being able to use an account on the One at the same time as the Beam.

If you really want to set up a separate Household on the same IP subnet as the Beam’s you’ll need to dedicate a control device to it, otherwise your app will keep finding the main Household. To pursue that course you’d need to reset the app (Settings/App Preferences/Reset) before attempting to set up the One as a ‘new system’. That mobile then can’t be used with the Beam.

Why is the SSID in the One’s area different from the main part of the house? If it was the same, and the One could simply join the Beam’s Household as normal, things would all ‘just work’.

If you still want to retain a different SSID, and add the One to the Beam, you’d simply add the second SSID to the Beam’s Household.

So you have 4 options basically:

1. a single SSID, a single Household
  2. two SSIDs, a single HH
  3. a single SSID, two HHs
  4. two SSIDs, two HHS

Of these you’re presently trying to do #4, which as indicated is likely to be the most awkward.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Don't know why you use different ssids or feel the need to use two systems in one network, but you could downgrade the single speaker to S1 and install a separate S1 system on it. This would provide you with a clean household separation, with all its limitations :D