Question

How to setup a wired sonos

• 14 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi There
I have no wifi (Actually its enterprise so same thing)
Play 3 and Connect
Sonos has removed the PC App setup option so having to use the iPad

The iPad insists on connecting the Sonos to a WiFi or connecting a boost
If I try boost it does not see the play 3

Am I missing something or is this yet another step backwards?
Thanks

7 replies

Is this a new system setup?

If it is, I think your best option (and possibly only option) is to take the Sonos gear to a place where there is wifi and do a Boost (wired) setup using at least the Boost as a wired device and your iPad as the controller. Then move the whole thing to the wifi-free network, and connect everything by Ethernet (as you must). A PC controller can then be used for day-to-day control.

Somebody else may come up with a better idea.
Note: I have read that there are adapters that will allow mobile devices to connect to Ethernet, but I have never investigated further.
Thank you for the response
but
This would be insane. Historically you just plugged these in and connected holding the buttons
now you have to move to SONOS wifi and then add to a wifi?
You didn't just have to press buttons, you needed an app that could talk to the speakers. As you say, the PC controller cannot do setup. Sonos is designed for home use and has never supported Enterprise networks.

Anyway, I have told you all I know. Others may have better suggestions.
Actually it is for home (wifi) use and ANY wired network it seems there is no option to just connect to a wired network in the setup OR I have simply missed this
If fiddling with an Ethernet adapter on the iPad is a problem, then just get a small access point and temporarily wire it to the network. Hopefully it won't get rejected immediately and Sonos setup can be completed quickly before the IT guys wise up.
If fiddling with an Ethernet adapter on the iPad is a problem, then just get a small access point and temporarily wire it to the network. Hopefully it won't get rejected immediately and Sonos setup can be completed quickly before the IT guys wise up.
Or indeed, given OP's simultaneous post, no need to worry about IT.