Answered

How to setup a SONOS system including 2 SONOS ROAM

• 13 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,
I have bought 2 SONOS ROAM speakers. I am trying to set them up to play music in stereo. Or at least have sound coming out from both ROAM at the same time.
Configuration:
-Samsung Galaxy A3
-Computer running Ubuntu v22.04 LTS, acting as a Wifi Hotspot, connected to internet through ethernet cable

I am unable to get a SONOS system with both SONOS ROAM in...

Below is the log of my trial. Any help welcome.

Regards,
Nicolas.

[Android] Install SONOS app on Android 10 smartphone
[Android] Clear Cache/Data for SONOS app
[Android] Making sure no SONOS product is paired in bluetooth devices

[SONOS ROAM 1] Factory reset => green LED blinking

[SONOS ROAM 2] Factory reset => green LED blinking

[PC] Start a Wifi hotspot while connected on internet through Ethernet cable

[Android] Connecting to Wifi hotspot
[Android] Configuring SONOS App as using mobile data and not Wifi
[Android] Bluetooth disabled
[Android] Wifi status shows the 2 SONOS ROAM
[Android] Starting SONOS App
[Android][SONOS App] Agree to terms of use
[Android][SONOS App] Set up new system
[Android][SONOS App] Sign in
[Android][SONOS App] Turn on bluetooth
[Android][SONOS App] Allow location access
... delay for 10s
[Android][SONOS App] Found SONOS ROAM F0:F6:C1:D9:30:AE:3 => click Add
[Android][SONOS App] Allow microphone access
[Android][SONOS App] ERROR: Your mobile device couldn't connect to your Sonos Roam. Move your mobile device closer and make sure the Sonos Roam is powered on => continue
[Android][SONOS App] Audio pin => continue
[Android][SONOS App] Network connection: change network to use Wifi hotspot => connect
[Android][SONOS App] Your SONOS Roam has been added => done
... delay for 10s
[Android][SONOS App] Found SONOS ROAM F0:F6:C1:D9:35:FA:G => click Add
[Android][SONOS App] Network connection: change network to use Wifi hotspot => connect
[Android][SONOS App] Your SONOS Roam has been added => done

[Android][SONOS App] Close application

[Android] Configuring SONOS App as NOT using mobile data and not Wifi

[Android][SONOS App] Register SONOS 1 => sign in

[SONOS ROAM 1] Press play+"+"
[Android][SONOS App] Linking Sonos Roam to your account => never finishes... checked on the website, the SONOS is correctly added
[Android][SONOS App] Trying again "Linking Sonos Roam to your account" => done

[Android][SONOS App] Add Spotify to SONOS => done
[Android][SONOS App] Play a song => sound only comes from one SONOS ROAM
[Android][SONOS App] ERROR: system shows only one SONOS ROAM

[Android][SONOS App] Add product => searching forever without finding anything => cancel

[SONOS ROAM 2] Power off
[SONOS ROAM 2] Power on
[Android][SONOS App] Add product => searching forever without finding anything => cancel

[SONOS ROAM 1] Power off

[Android][SONOS App] Finish setting up Sonos Roam => sign in
[Android][SONOS App] Updating your account => done
[Android][SONOS App] Register SONOS 2 => done

[SONOS ROAM 1] Power on => not detected

[SONOS ROAM 1] Power off
[SONOS ROAM 2] Power off

[SONOS ROAM 1] Power on
[SONOS ROAM 2] Power on
...wait for 30s
[PC] Checking which device is connected on the Wifi Hotspot:
? (10.42.0.11) at f0:f6:c1:d9:30:ae [ether] on wlo1 => SONOS ROAM 1
? (10.42.0.187) at 82:47:7d:0f:d7:a5 [ether] on wlo1 => Samsung Galaxy A3, i.e. controlling smartphone
? (10.42.0.27) at f0:f6:c1:d9:35:fa [ether] on wlo1 => SONOS ROAM 2

[Android][SONOS App] has selected one of the ROAM.. looking at system shows only one => can play music on this one, say it was SONOS ROAM 1
[SONOS ROAM 1] Power off
[Android][SONOS App] has selected the other ROAM.. looking at system shows only one => can play music on this second one, i.e. SONOS ROAM 2

Conclusion: current version of SONOS App v14.8.1 running on my Android Samsuns Galax A3 does not seem to be able to have 2 SONOS ROAM in the same system. It creates 2 independant systems with 1 of the SONOS in each.

icon

Best answer by John B 15 June 2022, 12:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

When you add the second Roam you just need to tap Add Product in the System Settings. Are you doing that or are you going through the same setup process as for the first speaker?

It is also possible that a WiFi hotspot on your computer has very limited networking capabilities. It may be able to cope with single devices but not a multi device system

The Sonos software is certainly capable of running 2 speakers in a single system. In fact it can run 32.

Hi John,

The Wifi hotspot running on my Ubuntu computer is capable to cope with multiple devices. This i actually shown in the log above:

? (10.42.0.11) at f0:f6:c1:d9:30:ae [ether] on wlo1 => SONOS ROAM 1
? (10.42.0.187) at 82:47:7d:0f:d7:a5 [ether] on wlo1 => Samsung Galaxy A3, i.e. controlling smartphone
? (10.42.0.27) at f0:f6:c1:d9:35:fa [ether] on wlo1 => SONOS ROAM 2

3 devices were connected to this network.

As to the setup procedure, i have added the devices as they were showing up when running the SONOS application.

SONOS application however see only one SONOS at a time.

It might well be a limitation in the Wifi hotspot but i have a bit of doubts on this as the smartphone connected to the hotspot is capable of communicating to one SONOS ROAM, so why not 2? I will try to investigate a bit further.

Is there any kind of debugging facility that can be enabled on the SONOS application?

Thanks

I am able to play 2 audio streams from my computer on the 2 SONOS ROAM available on my Wifi hotspot network.

So this is not a problem a Wifi hotspot or SONOS devices.

It’s only a problem of SONOS application on smartphone that is unable to detect both devices.

Quite unacceptable in regards of the price of the devices.

Is there anything that can be done to help improve the situation from SONOS app point of view or do i have to enter in the already big community of unhappy SONOS customers?

I am able to play 2 audio streams from my computer on the 2 SONOS ROAM available on my Wifi hotspot network.

So this is not a problem a Wifi hotspot or SONOS devices.

It’s only a problem of SONOS application on smartphone that is unable to detect both devices.

Quite unacceptable in regards of the price of the devices.

Is there anything that can be done to help improve the situation from SONOS app point of view or do i have to enter in the already big community of unhappy SONOS customers?

I cannot speak for Sonos but playing individually to two devices, or linking a controller to a single speaker, is not the same as two speakers operating together.  Your network probably isn’t handling multicast packets adequately.  Sonos does not support wireless hotspots - they are often not up to the task.  If the Sonos app cannot detect both devices it is a networking issue.

That is assuming you haven’t actually set them up as separate systems.

Please see the following:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

Unsupported network setups and devices

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders 2
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise