Question

How to set up more than one room on the same sonos system

• 12 January 2014
  • 38 replies

I am trying to figure out how to set up more than one room, but cannot seem to figure it out.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 2
Need to know a little more than that. What speakers do you have? Through existing stereo or powered by connect amp. Sonos speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Joseph,

If you have an existing system and are trying to add new components you can select Manage or Settings > Add a Sonos Component then follow the prompts there, pressing the Mute and Plus on your new Sonos component.

Cheers.
Need to know a little more than that. What speakers do you have? Through existing stereo or powered by connect amp. Sonos speakers?
System 3 speakers.  I have installed all of the components but want to set up multiple rooms. The setup seems backwards to me as you have select the room first then select TV Room, Living Room, Hallway, etc. after that.  I want to set up one room for the TV only without the sub and other rooms with the sub.
Hello Joseph,

If you have an existing system and are trying to add new components you can select Manage or Settings > Add a Sonos Component then follow the prompts there, pressing the Mute and Plus on your new Sonos component.

Cheers.

I have already set up all components.  I want to set up separate rooms for the TV, Living Room, etc.  The menu seems a bit backwards to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Joseph,

Cheers.

Hello Joseph,

If the components are all setup you should see them in the Rooms menu. You can change the name of any of the speakers under Manage > Room Settings to a preexisting name, or a custom name. You can also setup Stereo Pairs, and bond SUBs to units there too.

Cheers.
Hello Joseph,

Cheers.

Hi, I am a enthousiastic user of your system and I must agree with Joseph... I currently have a Playbar, sub and two Play 1 speakers setup as a surround home cinema set. I called this the TV room. In parallel I want to use the two Play 1 speakers standalone. I cannot create two seperate rooms/profiles without the need to add the two Play1 speakers to the TV room through a setup procedure which is cumbersome. Can you please help?
Hello Joseph,

Cheers.

I think there is some confusion about the definition of a room. A room is simply the label given to a Sonos device. It is not a virtual grouping of devices. Devices that are bonded together such as a player and a sub or two players configured as a stereo pair share the same label (room name) because they operate as a single device.

If you think about it, it wouldn't make much sense if you could give a player more than one name. If for example you named a Play5 "Living Room" and also named it "Den" then what happens when you go to group it with other players? If you add "Living Room: to a group with say "Kitchen: for example but take "Den" out of the group would the Play5 be playing music or not?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Hello Joseph,

Cheers.

Think you should avoid the rooms, they are just names that you use to identify where that set of speakers is in your home. I would focus on "Zones" so although the PlayBar, Sub, and two Play 1's are in your TV room as 1 zone in the same room you could have a 2 Play 3's stereo paired as a separate zone. Now in the controller you could name the Play 3's as living room 2 and when you wanted to watch TV go to that zone and then switch zones for music.
Badge
Hello Joseph,

Cheers.

Think you should avoid the rooms, they are just names that you use to identify where that set of speakers is in your home. I would focus on "Zones" so although the PlayBar, Sub, and two Play 1's are in your TV room as 1 zone in the same room you could have a 2 Play 3's stereo paired as a separate zone. Now in the controller you could name the Play 3's as living room 2 and when you wanted to watch TV go to that zone and then switch zones for music.

I'm trying to do exactly this but have no idea how. I can't find anything called Zones in the app or any way to modify tv room other than to add more players or remove players. When I click on Room Settings I see "Living Room (+SUB+LS+RS)" and clicking on that simply allows me to change the settings for that group.
Wow. I think this thread takes the record for the most confusion ever, Can I suggest rereading @upstatemike's beacon of sanity and clarity?

@andymarksmith - there are no "zones" in the Sonos app, but some Sonos users use the term interchangeably with "rooms", precisely because the "room" name is just a label. I can call a speaker "Living Room" and put it in the kitchen, and it will still play when I choose "Living Room". I can call two of my speakers "George" and "Amy" and put them both in the dining room, and they will respond separately as those names.

Your app shows what it does because you have gone through a setup process called "bonding" that has associated your Playbar (which you have chosen to call "Living Room"), Sub and two P:1s together to form a single operating unit that is identified by the same label as your Playbar. If you want to see the P:1s as something separate you'll have to unbond them from the Playbar, and they will then appear under whatever individual labels you have given them originally.

You can also "group" speakers that have different labels so that they play in synch, or "stereo pair" two Play speakers of the same type.

I don't know if that will shed light or add to the confusion, but it's the best I can manage.
Also, people use 'Zones' because the original software/hardware referenced zones instead of rooms (the original ZP model designation for the Connect series stood for "ZonePlayer").
As jgatie notes just about all of the terminology used by the original SONOS units has been changed to be more inline with with terminology used by Apple and iTunes. The most recent example is "Tracks" are now known as "Songs".
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I don't believe what the OP is asking for can be done, short of manually doing it each and every time. If the Tv room is PB, SUB and 2 play ones and Living room is 2 play fives......Much easier to just group them, rather than breaking out the surrounds only.
i'm relative new to Sonos systems, but I already see how a Profile system would be of good help..

(or - a simple option to redefine the word "room" and allow a Player to be member of many groups/rooms/profiles or call it whatever)

"Movie" profile with PB+SUB+Surround are all ON and play 5.1 content form TV

"Night" mode to enable PB only, to not only "reduce" high sounds, but to disable SUB and surround all together

We also have lots of old cartoons which is recorded with not too good sound, and these sounds terrible when played on the PB+SUB+Surround system

"No SUB" profile which have PB+surround but no SUB enabled, - for the times when you need to quiet down a little, or for those who live with other people in the apartment below - who only can use SUB when they are alone in the house..

Many reasons why a Profile system could be added, and would make good sense in a multimedia house

Having to go to the Sonos app, Settings, Rooms, advanced setting and remove/add SUB or/and surround every time... can be annoying
Having to go to the Sonos app, Settings, Rooms, advanced setting and remove/add SUB or/and surround every time... can be annoying
You don't have to go through the rigmarole of removing/adding the SUB and surrounds. There's a simple toggle in room settings Advanced Audio to turn each of them off or on.
Seems like an opportunity for Sonos to add a new feature: room groups. Then the thing you want to hear could be played on one room, or the second room, or on the group that includes both rooms.
Mr Ryan S from Sonos: does this make sense to you folks?
Seems like an opportunity for Sonos to add a new feature: room groups. Then the thing you want to hear could be played on one room, or the second room, or on the group that includes both rooms.

You can already group rooms, what is this suggestion adding?
Seems like an opportunity for Sonos to add a new feature: room groups.
You must be missing something. This has only been Sonos' key selling point for over 10 years.

You have to group the rooms by toggling every time you want to listen in more than one room, would be better if the group is pre-set, eg. Group A is room 1 and room 2, Group B is room 1 and room 3, etc. So instead of grouping the rooms every time you just select Group A or Group B.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You have to group the rooms by toggling every time you want to listen in more than one room, would be better if the group is pre-set, eg. Group A is room 1 and room 2, Group B is room 1 and room 3, etc. So instead of grouping the rooms every time you just select Group A or Group B.

Makes sense to us. I'll pass on the suggestion for you. We've heard the suggestion for a permanent grouped room or more advanced bonded room features before, so I'll add you interest to that suggestion.
Userlevel 2
I want too add speakers to the outside of my house but I don't want them playing when the TV system is on in the inside of the house.How do I accomplish this ?????
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I want too add speakers to the outside of my house but I don't want them playing when the TV system is on in the inside of the house.How do I accomplish this ?????

The best way to handle this with Sonos is to have the outside speakers connected to a different Sonos player than the other speakers in your house. If these are ceiling or wall mounted speakers you're probably best having them hooked up to a CONNECT:AMP. Your other speakers can connect with another one, or be powered by an amp with an attached CONNECT.
Userlevel 2
They are SONOS 1 Speakers that will go outside. Inside I have Playbar, 2 sonos3's and a bass.How can I set it up to just have the outside play when I want.
They are SONOS 1 Speakers that will go outside. Inside I have Playbar, 2 sonos3's and a bass.How can I set it up to just have the outside play when I want.

The Play:1s can go outside, but they are not weatherproof and cannot be outside permanently. The only way to get permanent outside speakers is to wire passive outdoor speakers to a Connect:AMP.

If you are just asking how you can use a Play:1 outside, just buy the Play:1, add to your system, plug them in outside and as long as they are in range, you can use them with your system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The PLAY:1s will operate as separate rooms automatically. If you have them bonded as a stereo pair, they'll show up only as one room. Otherwise, they'll be 2 separate ones you can group together. The inside rooms can be grouped with them, or played on their own. If you have the PLAY:3s and SUB bonded as a home theater system with the PLAYBAR, they'll only show up as one room as well.