Answered

How to set up a NAS drive with Sonos?

• 12 April 2018
  • 34 replies

How to set up NAS drive with Sonos?

I have a Sonos Playbar and a Play 5 and want to set up a NAS drive to serve up the music, instead of coming off the iMac, which is how it is been done at the moment.

Just bought a Synology DS115j 2TB NAS drive.

Question: what is the best server software to install on it i.e. Twonky, Minimserver etc?

What is the procedure/instructions for installing said software and how do I set it up as a NAS drive to use with Sonos.

Any pointers or advice will be much appriciated.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 April 2018, 17:12

No need for 3rd party server software. The NAS must be using SMB v1 (SMB being the standard network sharing protocol on 99.9% of the NAS drives out there). Configure with a user/password, copy the files, share the directory the files are in, then point the Sonos share to the shared directory on the NAS in the Music Library setup.

Here's a link for more tips:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/79
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

No need for 3rd party server software. The NAS must be using SMB v1 (SMB being the standard network sharing protocol on 99.9% of the NAS drives out there). Configure with a user/password, copy the files, share the directory the files are in, then point the Sonos share to the shared directory on the NAS in the Music Library setup.

Here's a link for more tips:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/79
Oh dear god. Not SMBv1. That was the wannacry vector. Even the author of SMB said no-one should be using v1 anymore and that was in *2007*. Do not open that up to the internet in any way. Badness will ensue and Sonos really have to upgrade to v2 only if they are insisting on using SMB.
Oh dear god. Not SMBv1. That was the wannacry vector. Even the author of SMB said no-one should be using v1 anymore and that was in *2007*. Do not open that up to the internet in any way. Badness will ensue and Sonos really have to upgrade to v2 only if they are insisting on using SMB.

Who said you have to open the NAS up to the internet?
NHS security policy for one. Didn’t do them any good.

And given the widely varying levels of technical expertise it is irresponsible for a manufacturer of anything with a network stack to insist on using such a vulnerable, end-of-lifed maaaany year’s ago protocol when whatever embedded Linux or Windows they use hasn’t had to use it (again) for years.

Shouldn’t be up to users of very expensive kit to have to avoid the hand grenade.

Kinda makes me want to do a quick security audit tho. That might be fun. I wonder what other old vulnerable rubbish is running in them. Probably against the TOS. :/

However wiith the Alexa tie in the hardware is actively connected to the inet in a predictable manner. And would make for a lovely entry point into your home. I guess having your music collection ransomewared would be worth paying a few £1000s for.
NHS security policy for one. Didn’t do them any good.

And given the widely varying levels of technical expertise it is irresponsible for a manufacturer of anything with a network stack to insist on using such a vulnerable, end-of-lifed maaaany year’s ago protocol when whatever embedded Linux or Windows they use hasn’t had to use it (again) for years.

Shouldn’t be up to users of very expensive kit to have to avoid the hand grenade.

Kinda makes me want to do a quick security audit tho. That might be fun. I wonder what other old vulnerable rubbish is running in them. Probably against the TOS. :/

However wiith the Alexa tie in the hardware is actively connected to the inet in a predictable manner. And would make for a lovely entry point into your home. I guess having your music collection ransomewared would be worth paying a few £1000s for.

Stop rambling and answer the question: Who stated you had to open up your NAS to the internet in order to use it with Sonos?
No. You stated that you had to set your NAS to use SMBv1. Your NAS is already on the internet as it is entirely net aware, prolly has some sort of cloud service or will use UPnP to punch its own wee holes. You will find that SMBv1 is not enabled by default on many modern devices so to answer your specific question, by insisting on SMBv1 Sonos massively weakens your network’s security.
You should google the Mirai botnet. The users of those devices didn’t “open them up to the internet” as you so quaintly put it.
No. You stated that you had to set your NAS to use SMBv1. Your NAS is already on the internet as it is entirely net aware, prolly has some sort of cloud service or will use UPnP to punch its own wee holes. You will find that SMBv1 is not enabled by default on many modern devices so to answer your specific question, by insisting on SMBv1 Sonos massively weakens your network’s security.

Every NAS I've ever seen defaults to cloud service or internet access disabled. Could you please show me one that defaults to either as enabled?
In fact, all the lolz

https://www.shodan.io/search?query=Sonos

I’m guessing you would consider these “users” to be stupid or reckless or what?
Don’t think that the company taking the ca$h should do better?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully the original poster got his NAS setup despite all the tin foil in this thread
In fact, all the lolz

What does this even mean?
Hopefully the original poster got his NAS setup despite all the tin foil in this thread

Yes. To the OP, ignore the nonsense. Keep your NAS and computers updated and you can sleep at night, despite the sky-is-falling posts.
OP back. Still looking for my answer 😉
OP back. Still looking for my answer ;)

Second post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes follow jgatie advice second post and let us know any questions. It’s an easy setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
One of great things with Sonos is the nas doesn’t have to run any server software. Sonos will do all that for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos doesn't need much of a NAS to serve up your music so if you are concerned about SMB v1 you can add a cheap NAS to serve up copies of your music files. A Raspberry Pi works, a WD Live drive works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea if your worried about security (which the op has not expressed) just put music on it only. Someone hacking you Micheal Jackson playlist isn’t the end of the world.
Cheers guys
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
SMBv1 is needed by Sonos if you don't want to use some form of third-party server software. Your NAS doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) accessible from the internet. While that doesn't prevent attacks where you download something nefarious to your computer and it starts spreading around your network, it doesn't mean that the world will be able to access your NAS just because you enabled SMBv1 on it. If your router/firewall is worth its salt, no one on the internet will be able to access your NAS unless you add a port forward or firewall rule allowing them to.

As far as your Shodan search of Sonos... yes, those are incompetent users who have either placed their Sonos devices directly on the internet with no firewall, in their router's DMZ zone, or are setting up port forwards for Sonos' UPnP port (1400) on their router/firewall, allowing it to be accessed directly from the internet. None of these is necessary for Sonos to work properly. This is also the reason that Sonos removed a significant amount of helpful technical info from their device web pages.
Badge
I am trying to figure this out myself. I have a WD USB drive connected to my RP3b+. I have configured SMB via posts i have seen. I can connect from my Mac and scan the music files. When I try to connect Sonos it says I can't authenticate. Does someone here have this setup and can provide an SMB conf that works?
Badge
Here is global setting that i have that doesn't work:

# For SONOS
max protocol SMB1
client max protocol SMB1

Here is share-specific setting:

[music]
comment = My Music
path = /media/usb-music
valid users = @users
force group = users
create mask = 0660
browsable = yes
directory mask = 0771
read only = no
guest ok = yes
guest account = nobody
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Snips from my /etc/smb.conf I don't have your protocol settings in my file.

[global]
# enable v1 authentication for Sonos access
ntlm auth=yes

[music]
Comment = Pi shared folder
Path = /mnt/ssd-music
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
only guest = no
create mask = 0555
directory mask = 0555
Public = yes
Guest ok = yes

I did a hard mount by UUID in my /etc/fstab to keep the USB auto-mounter from moving the drive around at boot time. Here is the line I used for my xfs formatted drive and notes about working around not knowing the UUID.

# UIUID notes about my drive
#PARTUUID="54285699-bf0c-4f92-b846-082114177b6b" is the whole drive
#PARTUUID="d450bd65-603d-4e13-8b32-41ed9ea3e354" is sda1

# actual mount line in use:
PARTUUID="d450bd65-603d-4e13-8b32-41ed9ea3e354" /mnt/ssd-music xfs defaults,auto,users,rw 0 0

# If UID mount fails this will work until you can fix it
#/dev/sda1 /mnt/ssd-music xfs defaults,auto,users,rw 0 0
Badge
That's great - i think it's the ntlm auth = yes that did it. I had tried that earlier but probably had something else wrong. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you want to try something really neat with your Pi, turn on the VNC Server (Pi Configuration, Interfaces tab) and be able to connect to your Pi from any machine that supports a VNC client. That allows you to put your Pi anywhere you can feed it power, no keyboard, mouse or monitor are needed.

If you have good WiFi you could even try using the PI's WiFi to connect instead of the Ethernet option, you'd only need to supply power then.

I'm very happy with the Pi as a Sonos music server, it sits on a shelf working away with no babysitting needed on my part. I do run updates once a month and reboot if they require it.