how to set up 4.1 or 5.1 with Sonos Amp

• 16 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone. I’m pretty new to this so please bare with me. I want to set up either a 4.1 or 5.1 using a Sonos Amp which I have acquired. At the moment I have a Sky glass tv which has eARC but no optical output. A Sonos sub and playbar which I used on my old tv. Also I have 2x play ones, 2x play threes and a Sonos Port that I use for my CD player. Any ideas how to add the Sonos amp to create 4.1 or 5.1. 
I also have two 75 watt 4 ohms speakers. Hope someone can help

cheers

Barry

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

To connect the ‘new’ Sonos Amp to a TV’s optical port, you will need the Sonos ‘Optical to HDMI audio adapter’. See these links:

https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/optical-audio-adapter

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You can connect your Amp to the eARC output on your TV and use your passive speakers, sub and play speakers as surrounds. This will give you 4.1. 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717?language=en_US

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

@Barry_4 
Ah it’s just been pointed out to me that I have misread your post and that the Sky TV has no optical port - sorry I completely misread your post. You don’t need the adapter I mentioned after all. So please ignore my earlier post.

I understand you can connect the Sonos Amp ‘Arc’ Port to the TV’s eARC port as that is apparently backward compatible with HDMI-ARC to output the TV audio and I will go away and report back to make sure that it will provide you with Dolby 5.1 surround sound using a phantom front center channel. I’m pretty sure the TV supports that codec, but I just need to confirm that and report back.

Hi Ken,

As I mentioned, the tv I am using doesn’t have optical out only eARC so the adapter isn’t used. If it was reversible I’d use it to connect to my playbar but I’ve read this isn’t possible 

cheers anyway 

Hi Bumper, Thanks for your reply. I’ll certainly try your method. Am I right in thinking I can use my passive speakers for front L/R and and play ones for rear. Is there any way I could add a front speaker. Could the tv be used for this?

cheers

Barry

Hi Ken,

As I mentioned, the tv I am using doesn’t have optical out only eARC so the adapter isn’t used. If it was reversible I’d use it to connect to my playbar but I’ve read this isn’t possible 

cheers anyway 

Yes, I’ve corrected my post above, I initially misread your post (sorry🙏) …you can just simply connect the Sonos Amp/3rd-party passive speakers (assuming it’s the new Amp) from its HDMI-ARC port to the HDMI-eARC port on Sky TV with an HDMI 1.4+ cable (with HEAC) - which is most HDMI cables these days and it will work. You will get (up-to) Dolby Digital 5.1 audio output. The front center audio channel is a phantom channel and will sound fine - you can use the setup with either a Sonos sub, or a 3rd party active sub, and either your pair of Ones or Play:3’s are able to be used for the two rear surround channels.

Once again, sorry about the incorrect information in my first post here - completely my mistake and misreading of your opening post. 

Anyhow I hope the corrected info. now provided assists you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There is no way to add a center channel speaker to an amp set up. Sonos says the amp has a phantom center channel. This isn’t user configured, as far as I can tell (I own an amp). 

IME I find my amp set up to be superior to the Sonos sound bar offering. (Former playbar and Arc owner). 

Thanks Bumper you’ve been a great help. I was thinking of purchasing an Arc but plumped for the new Amp option, I’m glad I did after your reply. 
cheers for your help 👍

Barry

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks Bumper you’ve been a great help. I was thinking of purchasing an Arc but plumped for the new Amp option, I’m glad I did after your reply. 
cheers for your help 👍

Barry

Hope it works out well for you.