Question

How to "move" a speaker in the iOS app?

• 15 February 2017
  • 5 replies

I've combed through piles of questions and answers here, but I don't see answers to the seemingly simple issue of moving a speaker from one room to another within the app. My specific situation: I have a Play 5 and a Play 1 in the same physical room (my living room), but they are currently in different "rooms" when viewed in the app. I want both speakers to be in the same physical room and the same "room" within the app. How do I do this?

If you're reading this Sonos Team, your onboarding sequence is absolutely maddening. Here's what it looked like for me:

1) Got a Play 5. Got it set up no problem. Woo!
2) Weeks later, I got a Play 1. The plan is to add this speaker to the same physical room as the Play 5.
3) Earlier tonight I unboxed and ran the setup sequence on iOS to add the Play 1.
4) It gets to the point where it asks me to choose a room for the Play 1. I can't remember what room name the Play 5 is assigned to, so I make a guess about which room to add the Play 1 to. (I assumed this would be a snap to correct later if I make a mistake. I assumed wrong.) It turned out that I remembered wrong on the room name, so the speakers got assigned to different rooms.
5) I go through the tuning sequence and whatnot. All good.
6) At this point, both the Play 1 and the Play 5 work. But! They're in difference rooms in the app. Which creates issues for trying to add and group other rooms in my setup. I need these two speakers to be in the same room in the app.
7) I go through literally every menu in the app trying to find an option to assign both speakers to the same room.
😎 I spend 2 hours reading message boards.
9) I throw my arms up and write this message.

Am I missing a really obvious setting somewhere? Is it really this hard to just move a speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can't make a permanent grouping. You have to group the 2 together. If you had say 2 play5 or 2 play1 they could be paired as a stereo pair as one room. But two different speakers you just have to group manually. I'm not sure how that effects you grouping others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The only ways to have two Play speakers in the same ROOM on the app are:-

1) Create a stereo pair of the SAME Plays (Ie Play 1, 3 or 5 (Gen 1 or Gen 2))
2) Add a Sub to a Play 1, 3 or 5 or stereo pair of the same.
2) Have a Playbar and add a Sub

To do what you want just change the name of one to be, eg, Rooma with the other being Room (say). Then you can group these together.

The reason you "struggled" was that you had an erroneous assumption about what you would be able to do with the system.

It is worth noting that there have been many requests for Sonos to create the ability for "scenes" to be creatable which would be the sort of thing you would need.
"Room" is just a label for a speaker and has no relationship to the physical location. In terms of the "rooms" that appear in the app, you will only see one "room" for a stereo pair, or for a surround sound system based on a Playbar. A Sub also "disappears" into whichever room it is attached to.
Excellent -- thank you for the insightful responses. I'll add my voice to the chorus then about getting Sonos to add functionality for something akin to "scenes".

Digressing here just for the sake of others that stumble onto this thread:
Sonos seems a bit nutty with its nomenclature. "Room" seems like the completely wrong name for the meaning it carries within their system. True, my assumption above was erroneous, but it was based on (I think!) what's at this point a pretty concrete colloquial meaning of what an object is and what a container is in the world of UX/UI. "Room" (and "scene," etc.) implies a container-level relationship; something such as "speaker" (or "player" in their system) implies an object-level relationship. Based on John B.'s reply, during the setup process it would be much clearer to ask users to simply name speakers/players as they are added to the system.
Above all, Sonos is an audio company. They live and breath quality sound. In doing so, the "Rooms" they allow adhere to conventional audio setups which represent the correct layout for accurate sound, given the units available. These are: Single unit, stereo pair, stereo pair + sub, and for video playback, 3.0, 3.1, or 5.1. While you can group these any which way you want, Sonos limits the ability to (semi-)permanently bond units to these conventional configurations, for they give the most acoustically accurate audio reproduction.