Answered

How to connect my Samsung "Frame" TV to Sonos Sound Bar via Optical cable?

• 27 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I just got a new network set up in my house and after spending 90 minutes on the phone with Sonos customer support, I learned that using the Sonos2 app, I can no longer connect my Samsung “Frame” tv to my Sonos Sound bar using the optical cable.  Apparently, the new Sonos2 app requires HDMI.  FOr those that don;t know what the Frame is, it’s a TV that looks like a picture frame on the wall.  There is a very thin almost invisible optical cable that runs from the bottom of this picture “Frame” to the box.  I am not going to plug in a ugly thick HDMI cable to the back of the TV.

Sonos needs to fix this ASAP!  I had no problems with Sonos1.  At least bring back Sonos1 so I can get my TV hooked up to quality sound.

icon

Best answer by controlav 28 February 2021, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s strange. This would mean al Playbars and Playbases would be obsolete on S2? I can’t believe that is true - S2 has been here for almost a year and I’ve not heard about it before.

I think, unless something has changed since S2 was released, you were misinformed. I ran two PLAYBARs on S2 while waiting for my Arcs.

Since you’re dealing with optical, there is no ‘handshake’ occurring, so you’d need to make sure the TV, and every device connected to it are locked down to Dolby Digital, and not Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS. If the TV tries to send that, it wouldn’t be interpreted by the PLAYBAR at all...and I’m not 100 % sure either of those codecs can even be sent across optical.

Does the Frame even have an optical port?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If your Frame has optical out, use that. (You may need to use an included adapter if using a Beam or Arc).

If your Frame has HDMI-ARC support, use that (If you have a Beam or Arc).

If it has neither then you are SOL.

Every TV-capable Sonos device supports S2, so that is not an issue.

You appear to have been given mostly incorrect information.

Thank you for the replies.  When I originally tried setting this up through the Sonos app, I thought the only option was to connect thru HDMI-ARC.  But after reading this, I tried again, and clicked the Don’t Have ARC, then an option came up to connect through Optical… I was able to get my Beam connected.  Surprise that Sonos support didn’t suggest this.

Thanks!